WWII A-2 Flight Jacket 8th AAF 392nd BG - " Crewdog "

KASTAUFFER

I have collected WWII POW groups and Naval Aviation groups for a long time, but have never been able to get my hands on an A-2 I liked and not trade it away for more POW stuff! This is my latest attempt on keeping an identified and patched A-2 in my collection.

I always wanted one with good history behind it and this one fits the bill.

This jacket was owned by a Navigator who served with the 376th BS, 392nd BG ( nicknamed the "Crusaders" ). They were a B-24 unit that flew with the 8th AAF.

The thing that drew me to this jacket is that the veteran wrote a 500 page book about his experiences called "Crewdog". I am part way through the book and it is well written. There is nothing better than talking to the vet yourself, but if that's not possible, a 500 page book will do the job.

He flew 25 Missions from Oct 1944- March 1945 and earned the Air Medal with 3 OLCs and a DFC.

The jacket looks all original to me and the cuffs and waistband have some wear. It does look like he tried to obliterate the AAF decal many years ago. Its nice that the leather rank insignia is still on it , since in many cases it got removed after the war. The patch is a 392nd BG patch painted on leather.

MVC-053L.JPG

MVC-054L.JPG

MVC-056L.JPG

History Man

Very nice A2 jacket Kurt...the condition and look of it is great! I would say a 500 page book written by the man who wore the jacket is a good alternative when an interview with him is not possible.

Philip

That was a very nice pickup at a very fair price Kurt. I thought it was pretty cool that he had written the book as well. Nice purchase from a very well known bomb group! Congrats!

JD

Saw this one for sale and the price was fair as JD said. I've always liked that unit's patch and the biography is a big plus.