Dark OD M1938 Leggins

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Picked up these leggins the other day....

Contract Date June 1944, marked as they should with the addition of OD...

Fewer eyelets than the standard tan models..

Were these originally made in dark OD or are they dyed??? I would say the former but haven't seen many dark pairs...

post-92-0-73171900-1397314234.jpg

post-92-0-29111300-1397314241.jpg

Johan...coincidentally, I was at the militaria place in my local antiques market yesterday. I noticed he had a box of leggings on the top of which were some OD ones! I picked them up....and put them back down again (I've got plenty of leggings)...but maybe I should go back and investigate further?!

Johan, you stole my Leggings :blink: And yes, they were made that way!

Below, shown with the "new streamlined" Leggings...

post-3226-0-39105700-1397319409.jpg

They are pretty darn rare over here as well. I picked these up in a huge surplus store in Galveston, Tx. in 1993, and the

main reason I grabbed them was the fact that they were Wartime O.D.#7s! According to the dates on these, they made their appearance

at roughly the same time as the 2-buckle Combat Boots...maybe that's one of the big reasons that what few of these show up

are in mint condition.

Johan Willaert

Funny how they were still making these in 1944, when they were actively switching to the DB Combat Boot...

Why the shorter models???

Funny how they were still making these in 1944, when they were actively switching to the DB Combat Boot...

Why the shorter models???

That's a good question; the shorties seem to be designed after the Marine Corps Leggings with only 7 eyelets; maybe they

are just an improvement that arrived a day late and a dollar short!

RustyCanteen

Nothing wrong with those! Nice find Johan. Definitely made that way.

Now the mystery leggings are the impregnated ones that lack any recognizable contract information..just a series of numbers.

I'd like to see those!

The 2nd ones listed must be the ones you refer to...I'd bet that there are some in the European collections.

post-3226-0-12169700-1397330447.jpg

RustyCanteen

I should be able to photo a pair. When I say mystery, why are they not marked with an identifiable contract number or nomenclature?

Very interesting!! And I share R.C.'s head-scratching at why there are no stampings; possibly to help assure that they wouldn't be thrown into the wrong crate with the general issue M1938s...??

ThompsonSavage

FWIW, I have a pair of dark OD leggings with a contract date of October 43 made by Camlin Fashions.
The vet was also issued a 42 dated tan pair. He used the laces of the OD's in his tan leggings.

RustyCanteen

Has anyone seen them in a size larger than 2? It looks like all the examples posted thus far are 1 and 2.

RustyCanteen

Very interesting!! And I share R.C.'s head-scratching at why there are no stampings; possibly to help assure that they wouldn't be thrown into the wrong crate with the general issue M1938s...??

Speaking of the lack of markings, how would they know what size to pull off the QM shelf?

LOL...that's an even better question yet!! Maybe they had paper tags attached to them, or..... :mellow::wacko: ?????????

RustyCanteen

Maybe, but you would think someone would have a set with tags on them? Obviously they came in different sizes since the catalog shows a range of stock numbers for the sizes. I'm tying to understand why POE needed them in the first place? Navy/USMC leggings seemed to hold up fine without being treated. It's definitely one of those things I wish we knew more about.

Yeah; after my initial wonderment at seeing this listing in the Catalogue many years ago, I had hardly given it a thought until this thread popped up.

An interesting mystery indeed!