Hi

I know this is a very long shot but I am looking for some shoulder straps for the coat below. They should be roughly the same colour as the coat and not yellow, they attach to the button then pass under the small strap, back along themselves to attach to the same button.

I once saw a coat with similar style shoulder straps for sale a few years ago but am unable to locate the photos, I have seen similar coats in use and have attached a photo of one from D troop 11th cavalry.

Kurt.

post-693-0-10021400-1397310985.jpg

post-693-0-86357900-1397311004.jpg

US Victory Museum

Good luck with your hunt, Kurt.

The earlier patterns are as rare as Tasmanian Thylacines, but I do own one and have seen photos of others; however, I have

not seen the purely khaki ones in either variation ( as a folded loop, or with the unique mounting hardware )

The "conventional" khaki epauletes, of which I have a few in my spare bits pile, would not be suitable because the 2nd style

Philippine made ones used faceted ends on proximal side ( the portion with the button hole) whereas the ones produced for

the army by domestic manufacturers to update the old colored epaulet uniforms to post 1904 specs are both rounded on that

end and shorter in length.

This link shows my branch colored 1st type with rounded end and branch coloring, as well as a photo of the 2nd type

with faceted ends. Unfortunately, the reverse side of the of the 2nd type is branch colored white for infantry making it

suitable only for infantry uniforms before the 1904 change.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/191947-us-uniforms-of-the-philippine-american-war-1898-1902/

Msn

Thanks for the reply, yes unfortunately the chances are slim but I thought it might be worth asking, you never know someone who has a pile of spare bits like yourself may have some, I actually think I once saw some for sale but before I owned the coat, I will have to search my photo records.

Interestingly I once had a pair of officers artillery epaulets similar to the infantry examples on your coat in the link, they had no makers mark and were slightly faded, out of curiosity I shall have to have a look but I am pretty sure I no longer have them.

You are correct those produced to update old coloured straps are too short, it would be nice to finish the coat correctly as it is a good example with a much stronger colour than it appears in the photos, the buttons also retain all their finish and the mark on the chest is not as visible as it appears in the photo.

Thanks again

Kurt.

You can probably have a seamstress fabricate a pair of these if you have the material. This type of strap was atypical, for sure. The standard ones were single length, with a button hole and hooks at the shouder end which engaged eyes sewn to the coat. S&S Firearms in NY (www.ssfirearms.com) used to have the single length ones in branch colors, and in khaki, but I do not think they are available anymore. If they do. I would buy two pairs of khaki ones, remove the hooks and have them sewn together end-to-end. That should work, though perhaps you might need to narrow them. The color would be right, and the buttonholes would be present.

Good luck.

G

Hi Gil

Thank you for the suggestion, I have a few of the standard tan straps with hooks but unfortunately they are all too short, but I think having some made is the correct route to take now, finding a similar matching material should not be too difficult, in fact I have some pieces in mind. I am more content knowing I have asked and know now that no one has a pair tucked away.

Thanks

Kurt