Question on US Mint Medals in the colored boxes

American Heritage

American Heritage

How come the silver stars and bronze star medals in these colored boxes don't show up that often? Seems the Purple Heart is the most common one in the purple box but these others are very scarce? Does anyone have a collection of these to share?

post-10864-0-09992200-1397268776.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

I've never quite figured that one out, but some medals like the air medal (green case) were designed later, comparatively. Personally I've only seen one light blue for the DSM. One green for the air medal and maybe one or two others. Silver Stars show up from time to time, but are still scarce. I could use one for a black widow NC. Best ABN

Unfortunately, the colored Coffin Cases aren't named. So, the recipient would know the medal came in that box, but at some point in the future, a family member wouldn't and I suspect simply threw them away. And I think the reason there are more PH coffin cases in the market is because there were more PHs given out. And this brings me to another pet peeve of mine.

Medal collectors are detail orientated. Does the medal have a split brooch or wrap brooch? The term "Coffin Case" relates to these small colored boxes. And, because of the rarity of these boxes, Coffin Cases are valuable. However, the term "coffin cases" is becoming the standard description for a medal case. I'm seeing this on this forum, and big time on Ebay. So, as collectors, we need correct and prevent the term from becoming the generic term for a medal case. If we don't, we're going to very disappointed when we buy a Purple Heart of Silver Star described as coming in a "Coffin Case" and upon receipt, find it in a general black case. Just my opinion.

Wayne

Hello,

As far as I Navy issue Bronze Stars were issued in the short titled case only. I think they came out to late in World War II to have had colored coffin case.

I concur with Wayne. The reason you see more Purple Heart coffin cases is because more were given out.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

American Heritage

thanks for the responses and info guys.

I would like to know an approx value of the various types please for future reference! thanks

So this brings up an interesting question. The definition of coffin cases.

The earlier colored boxes had a top cover that "sort of looked like a coffin. The lid sloped inward and raised at the same time.

This is sort of a similar profile to the Army black titled cases of WWII.

The later Navy colored cases are pretty much rectangular, with no sloping lid. The Army black cases continued with the sloping inward lid; the Navy short titled cases did not have this slope.

I have always thought of the Army black cases as coffin cases and , by extension, the Navy short titled cases as coffin cases.

The colored Navy cases I think of as, suprprise, surprise...colored cases.

• 7 years later...
On 4/11/2014 at 10:12 PM, American Heritage said:

How come the silver stars and bronze star medals in these colored boxes don't show up that often? Seems the Purple Heart is the most common one in the purple box but these others are very scarce? Does anyone have a collection of these to share?

post-10864-0-09992200-1397268776.jpg

My contribution to your last question 

154E1CA7-87B7-402D-AD92-4DE1F4B64661.jpeg

06A89FD5-5BDD-4018-BFAD-E1B7C785D42F.jpeg

Brian Dentino
1 hour ago, jmpmstr said:

Holy smokes Anthony!  Your just showing off now.......man, what a beautiful group of early medals in their original colored boxes!  That USN/USMC medal in the bright red case is definitely a hard one to catch.  So is the black NC, and the green AM, and....and.....and....well never mind, I have to pick my jaw up off the floor after seeing this beautiful rainbow displayed in all its glory for us here!  Just wow.........

On 4/20/2021 at 1:08 AM, jmpmstr said:

That is an awesome collection of very rare medals and cases! Thanks for showing!

• 2 weeks later...