1/35 scale 29th Infantry Division, Omaha Beach Normandy, D-Day Figure Vignette

Old Marine

everforward

This is the box art for the DML 29th Infantry, Normandy set of figures. This is a nicely done set of figures, lots of detail, clean molding and good poses. Well worth the money.

Wonderful job on the diorama, fabulous..!!

Here is a pic of a portion of the painting "29 Let's GO" by Jim Dietz....I'd bet this work is where Dragon got their inspiration for the figure kit, especially the guy holding the Carbine and his left hand waving everyone ashore....

866ADE40-C878-44EC-A56C-079E4B0EC9D7_zps

Wonderful job on the diorama, fabulous..!!

Here is a pic of a portion of the painting "29 Let's GO" by Jim Dietz....I'd bet this work is where Dragon got their inspiration for the figure kit, especially the guy holding the Carbine and his left hand waving everyone ashore....

866ADE40-C878-44EC-A56C-079E4B0EC9D7_zps

Interesting to note the artist gave the carbines 30 round magazines. I bet the guys there wish they had them.

everforward

Interesting to note the artist gave the carbines 30 round magazines. I bet the guys there wish they had them.

Ha, and yes there was discussion about that very thing--unfortunately it was too late to make changes to the original painting. In the original sketches that Dietz did of the soldier/model, he was given a Carbine with a 30 rd mag....also I think that something they caught at that stage as well was the model wearing his leggings backwards...(!) I seem to remember some talk about that....

Garandomatic

Ha, and yes there was discussion about that very thing--unfortunately it was too late to make changes to the original painting. In the original sketches that Dietz did of the soldier/model, he was given a Carbine with a 30 rd mag....also I think that something they caught at that stage as well was the model wearing his leggings backwards...(!) I seem to remember some talk about that....

Real shame, Dietz's work is absolutely outstanding. Can't think of one painting of his that didn't take my breath.

That painting is pretty spectacular. It's too bad about those details but getting all that right is tough, but it still doesn't diminish the power of that painting.

Tom thanks for the photos of the sailors. I was debating whether or not to add that figure and I am glad that I did. He adds a bit of intererest to a sea of Khaki.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

simply awesome - the painting of the figures is great and you attention to detail is fantastic!! well done sir.

• 4 weeks later...
Old Marine

6/6/14 - I thought I would bump this up for today's anniversary. Today, find a minute to remember and thank god for the sacrifice and bravery of all those young men on that beach that terrible morning.

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, great diarama with really good details i can see the work that has gone into putting this together, even down to what looks like the guy loading his BAR with a mag. I have been to all the beaches in Normandy and also collected a few pieces for my collection

right down to a small amount of sand from each beach, You have depicted this very well.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Thank you for sharing Tom.I really appreciated the step by step thought process. Very unique and interesting. My son builds WW2 aircraft, and I admire your work.

Wow Dennis, you know there is so much action in your vignette. It's a fantastic job of depicting that day on the beach in Normandy. I tried to get the same action from my Hue diorama, but your vignette really pulls it off.

Great work and I love the step by step. Semper Fi brother.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Old Marine

The annual bump. Take a moment to think about all those young men on that terrible beach all those years ago.

I always remember the important battles and their dates. I get frustrated when the History Channel is playing Pawn Stars or AMC is playing "Rambo" some other crap instead of "The Longest Day" or "Saving Private Ryan". I have nothing against Rambo or Sly Stallone but c'mon guys it's 'D-DAY'! Thanks Dennis for bumping it up.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 1 year later...

Very well constructed and painted diorama.

While scrolling through the posts, I was thinking that the soldiers just came from the water. Their gear wet, from about chest height downwards. Meaning, that clothes ought to be darker. Then I came across the painting, which actually shows what I mean. Regardless, the diorama looks great. I hope I can, one day, paint figurines that well.

• 3 years later...