1/35 scale 29th Infantry Division, Omaha Beach Normandy, D-Day Figure Vignette

Old Marine

As the primed figures dry I build up the beach sand and the ripples in the sand with Epoxy wood filler. This stuff works good for the terrain and you have time to sculpt and move it around, but once it dries, it is hard to sand or shape.

post-2843-0-50869600-1397266360.jpg

Building up the surf with the acrylic clear gloss Gel medium. The Gel goes on milky white, but dries perfectly clear.

post-2843-0-52969200-1397267018.jpg

Painting the figures. I set the figures up on wooden skewers. I attach them with Super glue in a spot that won't be seen. I rough in the uniform colors in batches. I paint all the faces and hands, then paint all the jackets , then trousers, then leggings, etc. I paint in batches to keep the colors uniform.

After painting and when the figures are ready to be placed on the groundwork I carefully just snap them off of the sticks.

post-2843-0-78463600-1397267105.jpg

Dennis,

This is breathtaking! You sure packed an amazing amount of detail in such a small area. Thanks for the detail shots showing your work in progress.

....Kat

Very dramatic scene and I do admire your skills making this diorama.

Such vignettes would go perfectly with any D-Day related collection.

Erwin

That's a well-staged little-diorama. So much action contained within such a small space...it really captures the moment. Great job Dennis!

Dennis

You did an outstanding job on this diorama. The painting is A one Thanks for sharing you project

Tom

AWESOME!

Dennis, you have captured a moment in history beautifully. The faces, uniforms, sand and water are painted so well as to look real.

Excellent photography and presentation. A true artist. Well done! Bob

Proud Kraut

The master is back! Thanks for sharing this incredible vignette with us. Hard to say what I do admire most. I think it's the "amount of dynamic" concentrated on a few square centimeters. Super realistic figures, great base including different elements. Seems one can hear the whistling bullets... You did an outstanding job!

Lars

With reference to the Sailor, having talked to several WW2 boat crewmen, if they lost their boat, they were shoved onto the next boat leaving the beach. One gentleman I talked to made 5 trips to Iwo Jima the first day, loosing three boats and crews, along with three helmets and his shoes and of course, the Marines he was carrying. He was aCox'n and needed in the boats, not blocking the beach. It was several days before he actually got back to HIS ship, driving boats where the Cox'n had been killed. Other than his first crew, which he never saw again, he did not know any of the guys in the other boats who were from different ships so he did not know if any survived. Other former boat crewmen I've talked to told very similar stories. All those Soldiers needed everything that was on the ships, and needed it now. Boat crews were much more valuable in the boats than clogging up the beach. One old Sailor I knew was a "Bow Hook", and was physically dragged and tossed onto a departing boat by a Beach Master who thought the young S2/c was not moving fast enough to the boat. By the way, love this model, captures the moment fantastically!

Here is the vignette on the display shelf with the ETO items. It looks a bit lost in the photo but in person it looks a bit better.

Sig, thanks for the anecdotes about the Iwo Cox'ns. I was hoping that some one would have some info on what happened to boat crewmen that had their boats shot out from under them. I would imagine that experienced boat handlers would be in demand and too valuable to just leave stranded on the beach. Some times the efforts of the Navy guys, the troop carrier pilots and crewmen and other support guys get overlooked. It was bad for all of them.

Thank you all for your comments, it's encouraging.

post-2843-0-75976500-1397596347.jpg

This is the box art for the DML 29th Infantry, Normandy set of figures. This is a nicely done set of figures, lots of detail, clean molding and good poses. Well worth the money.

post-2843-0-11401200-1397597144.jpg