A WW2 era "Galapagos Seabee" patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Happy Friday all,
This morning I have a new find to share with all you fellow patch peeps,an old Seabees patch that is associated with an interesting place,the Galapagos Islands.It is a larger piece,made of a wool or felt material.I like the "old timey" stenciled type font used for the "Seabees" name.At one point it appears to have been sewn on to something.It is pretty "salty" and definitely has that "been there" look to it.
This is a named patch from a Seabee that was stationed at the Galapagos Islands.I will be posting a small group in the "Groupings" section soon.

I just recently learned that only 5 days after Pearl Harbor,the Navy rushed Seabees to the Galapagos to establish a patrol plane base,known as Base Beta.Baltra was a top-secret military base.

I've found some interesting info on this little known base,here it is:

Building of the Top-Secret Base at Baltra

In the late 1930’s and early 1940’s as tensions grew around the world, interest in a military base on Baltra Island grew. The Marshall Documents shows that negotiations between the US and Ecuador for the construction of a military base in the Galapagos were well in place during 1939. United States interests made a base in the Galapagos Islands a priority and Baltra was the ideal island due to its clear skies and lack of rain.

In March 1940, local Galapagos residents reported seeing of German U-Boats in the Galapagos Islands. In August the same year Germany admitted loosing an aircraft to the Panama Canal defenses. By the end of 1940 it was publically known the US was in negotiations with both Costa Rica for the use of Cocos Islands and with Ecuador for the use of the Galapagos as military bases to protect the Panama Canal.

In September of 1941 a Dutch boat was sank near the Galapagos as did an Australian ship in early December and there were extensive reports of a Nazi Raiders in the region and these Raiders were thought to have been responsible for the sinking of both boats.

On the South America Continent tensions had been growing between Ecuador and Peru over land dispute in the Amazon Region. During 1939 and 1940 there were a number of skirmishes between along the boarder and finally in July 1941 Peru invaded Ecuador. The 13,000 men who made up the Peruvian forces quickly over took Ecuador’s meager 1,800 men. Peru began bombing the towns of Huaquillas, Arenillas, Santa Rosa and Machala along the southern coast of Ecuador. The Peruvians sent paratroopers into the Puerto Bolivar. Quickly Peru occupied almost the entire province of El Oro and some towns in the province of Loja. A blockade around the port of Guayaquil shut off the supply line into the country.

As the US continued negotiations with Ecuador to obtain a military base in the Galapagos continued, Ecuador wanted part of the negotiation to include the sanctions against Peru and the return land in the Amazon region which amounted to over half of the size of their country.

However when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor things quickly changed. Within 5 days US troops were sent to the Galapagos to begin a modest refueling station for naval aircraft. In January 1942 an agreement was signed between the US and Ecuador for the use of the Galapagos Islands by the US Military. In March Ecuadorian Contractors began construction of a military base on the island of Baltra and in September the same year the SeaBees arrived to complete the job.

Known as Base Beta, Baltra was top-secret military base. According to John Peck who was stationed there “On arrival in CZ (Canal Zone), I was asked to volunteer for duty on an island in the Pacific, I did not know or was told what island. I was told it was for only six months, and when it was up I could return to the CZ.” “We left the first week of January 1944 via seaplane to arrive at our new base. On the flight we were told we were going to Galapagos, which was 600 miles off of South America. All messages were censored and all mail would be censored. On arrival on Baltra we were assigned to our departments and were told the Sea Bees were still in process of building we could only stay on the Navy side of Baltra, as the US Army Air Corps occupied the other side.”

Those stationed there were treated very well. Other than a hospital shared by the both the Army and Navy the two bases were separate. A small city was created for those who lived there including a church with services on Sundays, a movie theatre with current releases, a beer garden and bowling alley. Those stationed there enjoyed the beaches, and deep-sea fishing as well as made pets of some of the Land Iguanas and feral goats found on the islands. Mail arrived daily via seaplanes from the CZ and those stationed on Baltra were given the option to take college courses, which could be transferred to universities in the US.

Some more info I found:

Ecuador

Galapagos Islands. Galapagos was the focal point for a wide arc of aerial patrols protecting the western approaches of the Panama Canal. From these island, 800 miles from the Pacific Coast, naval seaplanes flew northeast to Corinto, Nicaragua, and southeast to Salinas, Ecuador. Army landplanes assisted in covering the southern route.
South Seymour (or Baltra) Island was selected as a base. The island is low, dry, barren, and volcanic, covered with from two to four feet of rocky soil, from which grows only sparse vegetation. It was necessary to import all materials, water, and provisions, as well as Ecuadorian labor.

Following a cruise in the Panama area by President Roosevelt in 1940, preparations were made to provide a wide are of constant air patrols west of the Canal. Aviation equipment for a seaplane base in the Galapagos Islands was procured and stored at Balboa. This base was the pioneer of a long succession of mobile units assembled for shipment to locations outside the United States. The list used served as a guide for procurement of aviation materials for seven air bases, thus creating the term "Galapagos units." Depots were established November 1940, at Charleston, S.C.; near San Francisco; and at Balboa, where warehouses were constructed by the Bureau of Yards and Docks to house these huge stockpiles.

Five days after the attack on Pearl Harbor, when the Panama Canal was considered in imminent danger of a similar attack, the Navy rushed a token force of 36 men aboard a British tramp steamer, to the Galapagos Islands to establish a refueling depot for patrol planes; a few days later, seaplanes were being refueled by hand pumps from a motor launch. A timber pier to handle unloading of gas drums and a 70-foot timber seaplane ramp were then planned. In January 1942 the Army surveyed for an 8000-foot air strip and let a contract for its construction.On January 24, 1942, Ecuador granted permission to proceed with essential construction in Ecuador (Salinas and Galapagos), specific agreements to be signed after Lend-Lease details had been settled.
Our immediate occupation of the Galapagos Islands served to provide a key point for aerial patrols, and to prevent the enemy from securing a nearby foothold, as was accomplished in the Aleutians.
The seaplane base, designed for two squadrons of patrol bombers, could accommodate 125 officers and 1,050 men. Construction by Army contract, which was combined with the contract for the base at Salinas on the Ecuadorian mainland, was fully under way by April 1942, and completed by mid-1943. The base at Galapagos was put into use while under construction, the first plane landing on the temporary wire-mesh parking area May 14. Quarters and dispensary were established; Navy shared the Army hospital.
Two units of Seabee Detachment 1012 were sent to Galapagos and Salinas, respectively, on September 27, 1942, to complete a varied program of construction work begun by civilian contractors, and to install equipment. They built two tank farms for diesel oil, fuel oil, and aviation gasoline, complete with concrete pump houses and submerged pipe lines, a radio building, and a pontoon pier, repaired the concrete seaplane ramp, and assisted with the Army pier, which was later used to land all supplies. The Seabees also installed a water-supply system, distillation units, and storage tanks for 75,000 gallons of fresh water and 75,000 gallons of salt water. After attempting unsuccessfully to drill wells, the Army imported water by barge.
The units of CBD 1012 were relieved January 1944, by a section of CBMU 555, who continued overhaul and maintenance work through the period of hostilities.

post-13386-0-43990600-1397227470.jpg

ocsfollowme

great detail on this patch! even the cooling holes on the outside of the barrel. rates on the 3x arms. the colors. i've never seen one of these and I look at most of the seabees patches on ebay from the past 6 years.

Is this a 5' patch? the lettering is intriguing too.

Patchcollector

Hi ocsfollowme,
I'm glad that you like it!I like the detail too,and the lettering is fantastic.I haven't measured it,but I think that you are correct.It looks to be around five inches in size.
The stitching of the bee on the back side of the patch looks similar to some WW2 made patches I've seen.

very neat patch but what makes you think this one is WW2 era?

I have always thought these to be post war "reunion type" or "PX" patch.

-Brian

vintageproductions

Okay not trying to start a argument but are you sure this is WWII vintage? I thought these were used on fashion type flight jackets during the 80's. There was this style and a twill style.

Airborne-Hunter

Okay not trying to start a argument but are you sure this is WWII vintage? I thought these were used on fashion type flight jackets during the 80's. There was this style and a twill style.

Bob, I think you may be right. IF I remember correctly my dad found a jacket as you describe maybe seven six years ago and it had this patch. Best ABN

Patchcollector

First off,thanks for the compliments on the patch Ocs,Leigh and FF.I agree,it is a nice looking piece,and I'm glad to have it in my collection.
Now on to the next piece of business. :lol:
I have posted a named patch.Some here have posted vague recollections and "If I remember correctly's".I've seen more than a few "PX'' pieces,and never encountered one made with the quality of construction like mine.I've never seen any "reunion" or "fashion" jacket patches,but would welcome seeing some.I looked mine over carefully.It doesn't glow,and shows no evidence of being computer made.
Having stated that I realize anything is possible and even groupings can be made up. I wasn't there when this was made so if anyone has any physical proof to back up the claims of this being modern made,please post it.
Time to pony up gentlemen!If you have some examples to show,let's see them. :)

Patchcollector

Bob thanks for posting that jacket and patch.I had never seen a "fashion" jacket all patched like that one.But having said that I must add this;that patch in my opinion is not the same as mine.Even though the photos are kind of small,it's obvious to me that the only thing that that patch shares with mine is the general design,but thanks again for posting a "fashion" piece.

I'll let everyone else check your link and let them judge for themselves.

Patchcollector

I took the image of the patch from the fashion jacket to post here so everyone could see it in case the link broke.The image is small but I'll point out the differences that I see.My patch is the larger image to compare it with.

First,the material has vertical ribbed lines that run across the patch.Second,the trailing lines behind the bee don't match up with mine.Third,the abdomen of the bee is longer than mine.Also,the font of the text "Seabee" does'nt match mine.Too bad that the image is so small,I'm willing to bet that there are more differences that cannot be seen with this tiny image.

post-13386-0-11850400-1397274337.jpg

post-13386-0-15548800-1397274368.jpg

ocsfollowme

Sorry, using ipad. Laptop in for repairs. Can't do the photos and live links very well.

Below is same patch for $125

http://www.johnnyg.westhost.com/flu182.html

Here is similar but with different backing below.

http://www.wittworldwide.com/images/seabeeptx.jpg

This is a deeper blue and market vietnam on etsy... So I'm not sure that deserves any credibility.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/023/0/7981441/il_340x270.538080661_th1j.jpg

Both the "S's" are very odd script. In about 5 minutes of google searches I found logos b and w and color. Can this script help date it?

Here is a ww2 footlocker with standard script. Sure could have used both scripts, I'm just trying to search for the answer.

http://httpwww.antiquesnavigator.com/ebay/images/2010/290501991231.jpg

Patchcollector

All that matters is do you like the patch.... Period! It's your patch if you like it! End of story!

Yes you are correct,but we are just trying to sort this issue out in a friendly manner! :)

Patchcollector

Sorry, using ipad. Laptop in for repairs. Can't do the photos and live links very well.

Below is same patch for $125

http://www.johnnyg.westhost.com/flu182.html

Here is similar but with different backing below.

http://www.wittworldwide.com/images/seabeeptx.jpg

This is a deeper blue and market vietnam on etsy... So I'm not sure that deserves any credibility.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/023/0/7981441/il_340x270.538080661_th1j.jpg

Both the "S's" are very odd script. In about 5 minutes of google searches I found logos b and w and color. Can this script help date it?

Here is a ww2 footlocker with standard script. Sure could have used both scripts, I'm just trying to search for the answer.

http://httpwww.antiquesnavigator.com/ebay/images/2010/290501991231.jpg

Thanks so much for the help and the links OCS.The patch in the first link at Time Traveller Militaria is a match for mine!I will post a pic of it here in case the link is broken.

post-13386-0-25574000-1397319931.jpg

It does look real and a cool patch. Seabee stuff like USAF Civil Engineering and Army Corp of Engineering is very interesting. The fact that they can come in and build virtually anything in no time flat is beyond impressive. Great find.

Patchcollector

It's named.

It's match was found on a Militaria Dealers site.

I paid 16 bucks for the group.

I'm happy as a clam. :)

Thanks all!