William Link Co of Newark, NJ: examples and patterns

Very important aspect of a true Link Balloon pilot wing is the divit in the rear of the balloon

post-76516-0-60382800-1562468787_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The William Link Co. sure produced some highly detailed and widely varied designs. Thank you for posting your Link sets, Mel.

In October 1921, the USAAC Airship Pilot badge and the full size Observer's badge (without "US" initials) were approved for wear and Link answered the consumer's call with another beautiful design. Note how Link used the same highly detailed shoulders for both new ratings:

Link Airship A.jpg

Reverse image of the 1921 Airship and Observer's badge. Note how Link incorporated the same starburst pattern and findings into both badges...

Link Airship B.jpg

Thank you so much Russ, for contributing these two spectacular badges showcasing the talent of the artist William Link recruited to sculpt the dies for these wings of unparalleled artistic acumen. I was just talking to a friend this morning about the fact that there are two ways that I view my collection in the badges therein, the lesser being straight aesthetic appreciation for the artistic talent brought to bear. The early 20th century was a time when the people of this nation understood the vast intrinsic value accrued to a badge or any work of jewelry and insignia based art, when proper attention to detail and a proper respect for the context within which the artwork would be utilized and the mettle of the men and women who would wear their creations, was considered and propelled some of the finest talents in this profession to the heights of their creative capacity. I see this especially in the creations prior to World War I with the initial Military Aviator badge created at Rock Island Arsenal, hand chased to a magnificence regarding the fletching, that is breathtaking and draws the eye in so deep with appreciation that one experiences loss to look away. Then of course there were the badges during World War I which were of the highest aesthetic grandeur as each individual wing from firms like Eisenstadt and Dunham, both firms introduced to me by my mentor Cliff Presley in all their grandeur in some of the finest examples of their creations, each individual wing was a work of exclusive individual art in the realm of military aviation, for to decorate the sky knights. These were the pioneers of the new frontier, the firmament above, the new battlefield upon which they would be the vanguard, developing the new tactics which would develop into the martial art sky dance called dog fighting, as well as those intrepid unflinching men of giant aeriel armadas just as the ships of old such as the Spanish Armada 1588, carrying massive Arsenal's of fire and destruction to visit upon the enemy at great, beforehand unheard-of distances. The insignia makers truly rose to the occasion with spectacular creations of aesthetic Wonder as we see in the badges above.

• 5 months later...

First off Happy New Year to one and all! This is a first for me to post on this section of the USMF. I recently acquired these wings, and wanted to find out anyh info on the company, and if these wings have ever been reproduced. I did some research, but could not find much on this company.This is why I have come to you experts, as I am definitely not. These happen to be the fist set of WWI wings of any type that I have ever encountered, so any information would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a few photos for you to view. They measure just under 3" across.

Thanks,

Kentpost-54415-0-55364400-1578593444.jpgpost-54415-0-32477800-1578593460.jpgpost-54415-0-30339700-1578593491.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

Hi Rocker. There is a lot of information on this section of the forum (WINGS) in the upper right search box when you are on the main wings page. Please search forum for William Link or William C Link or Link wings.

This particular style of wings is heavily reproduced, though typically poorly.

And you should always have www.ww2wings.com (Bob Schwartz' site) bookmarked as there are always the best examples pictured - http://ww2wings.com/wings/wwi/us/us.shtml

Cheers,

Tod

Thanks Tod,

I have not fully delved into all of the forums as of yet, but have been on the Bob Schwartz site. He does have the exact same example, with the exception of the ones that he has pictured appear to have its original catch. Mine has had a jeweler replacement catch, which up close appears to be a period drop down catch. When viewing mine up close it definitely has very good detailing within the feathers all the way around. I still haven't been able to find where the Link company was located.

Kent

Hey Kent. You have a beautiful WWI William Link Company wing from 1918. Perfect stamping of the wing with the smooth sections between the shield and the actual Wing fletching. Period jeweler replacement pin assembly which is clearly indicative of the time. Lovely Maker's Mark as well. Most excellent .

55rocker52,

Howdy and welcome to the forum! Sorry for not replying to this sooner. Congratulations on getting what appears to be, based on what can be seen in the photos, a nice William Link Co wing.

post-594-0-87815900-1578709245.jpg

William Link Co was a manufacturing jeweler with his factory at 401 Mulberry St Newark, NJ. Among other ready-made jewelry, Link manufactured higher-end military insignia. His sterling and gold rank insignia are among the heaviest and finest examples from the period. You can see how nice his wings are.

Although the building next door at 407 Mulberry St. still stands, the site of Link's building today is a Salvation Army parking lot.

William Link wings would have been a popular choice for Aviators stationed at Hazlehurst and other fields on Long Island and available to aviators returning from France through the major ports at Hoboken.

Alas, William Link's Company did not survive the Great Depression and some of his dies were sold to other companies when the business was liquidated. Unfortunately for collectors the WW1 era William Link Naval Aviator die still appears to be in use by unscrupulous persons.

Chris

Thanks Guys!

I usually don't post, unless I run out of options. Thanks for your congrats, and thanks Chris for the Link company info. It is greatly appreciated. Yes, these were found in NJ, less than a week ago. I honestly believe that the original pin was accidentally torn off and replaced by this jewelers replacement drop down catch. Chris, the set that you posted with the officers collar insignia, to your knowledge did all of these WWI Link wings have the Tiffany style catches? I only ask because the Link wings on the Bob Schwartz site has a large drop down style catch. Thanks for the full info on the Link company. Much appreciated. Also to throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing, I have yet to see the "Meyer" version of these wings. Did they really make this same style? Or did they acquire the molds from Link?

Thanks Again,

Kent

The Meyer company has its own die of the wing. The smooth place on each side of the shield on the Link Wing, is feathered with fletching on the Meyer wing and the Meyer wing has STERLING on the rear. The original Link Co wings have the Tifanny pin catch.

Kent,

Here is a photograph of three of these very similar wings:

post-594-0-81534100-1578782012_thumb.jpg

Top: I Scheuer/N.S. Meyer

Middle: William Link

Bottom: Robbins

Note: All are very similar in size, apparent size difference in photo is mostly perspective.

A couple more notes. WW1 era advertisements for the top wing were by a manufacturing jeweler named I. Scheuer. Scheuer went out of business due to the owner being stricken by the influenza epidemic and NS Meyer assumed their production in late 1918. Scheuer made badges are apparently all marked only "STERLING." Meyer made badges are marked with a Meyer Shield and the trademark "ROLLED PLATE." Both use the same die. There are at least two more very similar badges, somewhat more scarce, by unknown makers. Tiffany did not make their own findings. They purchased them from a company called Blancard.

Chris

... I honestly believe that the original pin was accidentally torn off and replaced by this jewelers replacement drop down catch.

Kent

These wings were worn proudly in active service and for many years after the war. It is not unusual at all to see either the catch or pin replaced on original WW1 wings.

Chris

Wow, thanks Chris, you seem to be the one to talk to about these WWI wings. I am very glad to have found your post. So in your estimation, which company actually started producing this style wing of wing first?

Kent

Kent,

My heavens! I don't have any idea.

The best I can do is relate a general theory that these, and a few other smallish badges, came about in mid to late 1918 as a result of general Army discontent with the state of military insignia during WW1. They way this theory goes, there appears to have been some pressure exerted by the Army "brass" over the seemingly ever larger and fancier pilot badges proliferating at the time. The ultimate result of this discontent culminating in the Adams-designed badges adopted in early 1919.

There is also the old salesman's saying; "when everyone else goes big, you go small." At the least, there appears to have been a market for sterling silver wing badges that were closer to the regulation 3-inch size.

I'm sorry It's not much help, and at best only a theory, but that's really all I have to answer your question. Perhaps some of the others have more definitive ideas.

Best wishes

Chris

Well Chris, it all sounds very logical to me. I don't think you will get anyone to question your ideas on this subject. This style to me being the sleekest of all of the wings that I have seen, probably would have been many of the pilots choice to wear over some of the other "over size" bulky styles of the time. I am not saying that many of them weren't good looking wings, but just not as practical. What is your take on that thought?

What is your take on that thought?

Kent,

It's very hard to say.

One thing is for sure though, that the sheer variety of WW1 wing badges makes collecting them interesting!

Best wishes.

Chris

There seems to have been a "golden age" for WWI wings that probably only lasted about a year or so. I have heard (and believe) that metal wings were never worn overseas (only bullion) and that many of the nice portrait photos you DO see of guys wearing metal wings, I suspect that they were taken in late 1918-1919 by either newly trained pilots or fellows returning from overseas. In fact, here is a patent from October 1918 for the Dallas-type wings that say the design likely dates from around June of that same year.

I could be wrong (and probably am), but everything I have read and seen suggests that the metal wings were produced late and never got overseas. Soon after the end of the war, most of the US military (including the Air Corps) was demobilized and by the 1920's there were relatively few military pilots left. I do see more than a few photos of guys in transition wearing their new post WWI Army uniforms and WWI style wings, or WWI uniforms with Adam-style wings.

It also seems that after the war, a fair number of companies continued to maintain stock (or at least the dies) of their earlier wing designs. You can often find these wings showing up in various post-WWI catalogs or designs. The Link pattern (although many other companies probably made similar badges) seems to have been rather popular and shows up as cap badges, wings, air line wings, instructor wings, sweetheart jewelry, cap/trucking companies, etc.).

post-1519-0-43406000-1579203458_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Great discussion Mel!

The Link pattern wing badges have always been amongst my favorites.

I have four pilot wings in the pattern that you feel is Amcraft and none in what you feel is the Link pattern.

As Patrick mentioned, it has always been thought that Amcraft acquired the Link dies in the

mid to late 1920's.

Your points about the differences in the two dies now warrants a re-evaluation of the theory, in whole or in part.

It is known that the William Link Co was making wings in 1918 in Newark, NJ. I have a Naval Aviator wing that is biographical to 1918,

and is shown with the W Co hallmark (picture below).

Also, Link is shown in the 1922 Jewelers Index (image from chicagosilver.com), but in the 1931 Jewelers Index, Link does not appear.

More interestingly, the exact same hallmark is shown in 1931 as being Winter & Co, also of Newark (image from my hard copy 1931 Keystone Index).

I wonder if Winter bought Link and maybe sold the dies, since Winter & Co is thought to never have made wings? Using Google Maps, the two companies

were within about four blocks of each other, so they would have been in competion for local business. On the ther hand, maybe Winter worked for Link,

bought the company and moved it, using the same logo?

I will take comparison photos in the next few days of my four wings (two are snowflake backed) and post them on this thread to add to the discussion.

It would really be great if someone could come forward with a hallmarked wing in one of the above patterns.

Link hallmarked wings are very rare and Amcraft does not appear to have hallmarked/snowflaked their wings till closer to WWII.

Great topic and I feel this is only the second inning!

John

Dusting off a terrific thread started by Mel in 2014, I thought Id offer this W. Link Co. hallmarked wing for discussion. Although the wing does reflect the Link hallmark, it is not a strong hallmark, but it is present. In addition to the hallmark, other factors that I found appealing are the Blancard (Tiffany style) catch, the fantastic jewelers dated inscription, as well as the slight curvature seen from the top view. The strike on the front of the wing is quite strong with the horizontal lines in the shield clearly visible.

Perhaps this wing reopens the dialogue on the Link vs. Amcraft on this specific wing with the horizontal lines in the shield.

Pete

post-12287-0-51226700-1584288398_thumb.jpeg

post-12287-0-54848300-1584288567_thumb.jpeg

post-12287-0-19622100-1584288650_thumb.jpeg

Thanks so much Peter, for bringing this Wing to The Forum, I was wondering if the individual who purchased it was going to bring this beauty to the forefront. First of all I want to comment on the curvature of the Wings. I have never seen a Link with the swept curvature to the wing design. This must have been done by the individual jeweler who affixed the post factory Blancard catch. The gentleman probably ordered it through a jeweler who, upon arrival, did the exquisite calligraphy inscription of the date of such renowned significance to the transformation of wing design in US Military Aviation heraldry. I absolutely love the swept-wing configuration, I am thrilled that you were able to pick it up Peter because I know that Wing is safe and sound under good stewardship with a man who is going to take splendid care of the wing. I am on the road right now and look forward to getting a closer look in more detail when I have time, well done sir!