William Link Co of Newark, NJ: examples and patterns

Here are both of Mel's badges pictured one above the other in approximately the exact same size in order to better compare the minor but very distinct differences between the two designs.

According to Mel, the Link badge is at the top and the Amcraft badge is at the bottom.

Now due to the angle Mel held the camera when he took the photos there is a bit of distortion; however, it should be clear to most who view them that the two badges were struck from different dies.

Personally, I think they are fascinating wing badges which rank as some of my favorite designs produced between the two World Wars.

A few of the better known USAAC personalities who worn them were Major Harold E. Hartney, Colonel Roy C. Kirkland and MG Frank M. Andrews.

BTW - It should be noted that one of these two designs was actually produced as late as WW2 in clutch-back. I say that because I know of a WW2 B-17 pilot who received one when he graduated from flight school in 1943; however, I've yet to be able to get a really good close-up pic of it.

Cliff :-)

post-4542-0-42468900-1397181926.jpg

Great discussion Mel!

The Link pattern wing badges have always been amongst my favorites.

I have four pilot wings in the pattern that you feel is Amcraft and none in what you feel is the Link pattern.

As Patrick mentioned, it has always been thought that Amcraft acquired the Link dies in the

mid to late 1920's.

Your points about the differences in the two dies now warrants a re-evaluation of the theory, in whole or in part.

It is known that the William Link Co was making wings in 1918 in Newark, NJ. I have a Naval Aviator wing that is biographical to 1918,

and is shown with the W Co hallmark (picture below).

Also, Link is shown in the 1922 Jewelers Index (image from chicagosilver.com), but in the 1931 Jewelers Index, Link does not appear.

More interestingly, the exact same hallmark is shown in 1931 as being Winter & Co, also of Newark (image from my hard copy 1931 Keystone Index).

I wonder if Winter bought Link and maybe sold the dies, since Winter & Co is thought to never have made wings? Using Google Maps, the two companies

were within about four blocks of each other, so they would have been in competion for local business. On the ther hand, maybe Winter worked for Link,

bought the company and moved it, using the same logo?

I will take comparison photos in the next few days of my four wings (two are snowflake backed) and post them on this thread to add to the discussion.

It would really be great if someone could come forward with a hallmarked wing in one of the above patterns.

Link hallmarked wings are very rare and Amcraft does not appear to have hallmarked/snowflaked their wings till closer to WWII.

Great topic and I feel this is only the second inning!

John

post-12439-0-05459300-1397482339.jpg

post-12439-0-79118600-1397482351.jpg

post-12439-0-75643600-1397482359.jpg

John, PLEASE get a shot in of the front of the Link Navy wing for comparison. Great comments!

Here are my four wings concerning the pattern(s) discussed.

I have two that are snowflake backed and two that are unmarked.

The front of the non snowflaked is different than the front of the snowflaked backed, which in turn are different than Mel's "Amcraft".

Wings in fist pic-

1. Appears sterling but is unmarked

2. Plated brass and is unmarked

3. Snowflake and marked STERLING (this wing was worn by Robert Twyman, killed in 1944)

4. Snowflake and gilted brass

I think 1 & 2 are 1920's and 3 & 4 are early WWII.

In the wings pictured, note the differences in the first two vs second two.

The thickness around the edges of the shoulders and details within the shoulders are different, yet close in design.

The feathering has very subtle differences too.

Makes me wonder if Link made two dies, as unlikey as that would be, or if an early die broke and

Link made a replacement that was very close in design.

More to follow.

John

post-12439-0-40498300-1398023122.jpg

Makes me wonder if Link made two dies, as unlikey as that would be, or if an early die broke and

Link made a replacement that was very close in design.

Hi John,

Just a couple of things to touch on if I may.

Link could not have made a second die of that first pattern wing due to its being broken because I have the original die and it seems to be in pretty good shape.

The feather details in the original Link die appear to be much nicer overall than the feather detail in the badges that Mel says were made by Amcraft.

Below is a photo of the original Link die.

I also took a close-up of the wing pattern etched into the Link die and reversed the image. Then that imaged was placed below the Link wing badge that Mel has. Now make note that the angle I was holding the camera was a bit off center but the two images still make for an interesting study should anyone be so inclined to try and compare or match the details.

Cliff

post-4542-0-81867100-1398039647.jpg

Thanks for the great comments Cliff and also, I completely forgot that you have that die!

How cool it that!

Here is a better close up of the shoulders of the snowflake vs non-snowflake.

In the snowflake backed (gilt), the smooth area around the edges is much wider and the details appear

slightly different in the shoulder itself.

Also, notice the dip at the top edge of the smooth portion of the shoulder as it runs out to the wing tip.

Best, John

post-12439-0-46403200-1398092012.jpg

ANOTHER INTERESTING STUDY:

Hello John,

Just for fun I grouped your gold Pilot Instructor wings between Mel's pilot badge and the Link die.

Cliff

post-4542-0-91723200-1398462713.jpg

Outstanding work gentleman! I am viewing on a phone and look forward to getting the time to view at home. There are objective differences such as the dip in the shoulder which need thought and consideration as to whether a new die was made it seems . Thank you for your time and effort..

The information and insight you all are sharing is worthy of a book! Great exchanges of intel!

For me, the noticeable differences between the two patterns is found between the ribs on the shield. The Amcraft pattern has modest vertical lines running between the ribs...while the Link pattern has rather small distinct horizontal lines between those ribs.

Here's a dated, identified and inscribed Link variation:

IMG_5161.JPG

Inscribed on the back, "To Capt. L. D. Crawford - April 1929 - From Capt. C. A. Pursley."

IMG_5168.JPG

Russ,

I think the badge you have that Captain Charles Addison Pursley (O8012) gave to Lt. L. D. Crawford (Reserve Officer) in 1929 is significant in two ways.

Not only was the badge struck from the second die (which may have been made by Amcraft), we can be sure that the die was made prior to 1929.

Cliff

post-4542-0-27262200-1398543234.jpg

Thank you Cliff, or should I say "Master", because sometimes I feel like Qui Chain Kane...the kid in the old television series "Kung-Fu." Mel is the star in this week's episode; Cliff is the wise old teacher...and I'm one of the students restraining the urge to say, "Yes Master, but..."

I've got to tell you, I'm really enjoying this thread! The rare badge images, historical information and willingness to share ideas and perspectives in uncharted research areas is very, very cool! Thank you all!

Here's a period image of Lt. Eugene R. Eubanks photographed wearing his WWI style high collar uniform on September 19, 1924. With a loop, I can see the wing on his chest has those small horizontal lines between the ribs on the shield identical to the example I posted above. This is a press-release photo describing Lt. Eubanks participation in the "Free-for-all military pursuit race" at the National Air Races in Spokane, Washington, in 1924.

IMG_5197.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Last week I picked up another wing to add to this thread.

It falls into the Amcraft style that Mel pointed out in the beginning of the discussion.

What is very unique about this one is that it has screw post fasteners on the back.

These narrow type of screw posts are normally seen on 1920's-mid 1930's era collar brass.

It is clearly done by the manufacturer, yet I don't think I have ever seen this on a post WWI wing.

John

post-12439-0-84546200-1401021511.jpg