82nd Airborne WIA Normandy and KIA Battle of the Bulge Group

kanemono

Here is a better write-up on Private First Class Burton L. Houseknecht;

Burton L. Houseknecht was born in Muncy, Pennsylvania on September 16, 1922. He attended Muncy High School before being inducted into the United States Army at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, on December 15, 1942. After basic training he volunteered to serve in the 82nd Airborne Division. In October, Houseknecht was sent to Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to pursue airborne training. In the spring of 1943, the 82nd became the first airborne division sent overseas. They left via troop ships from New England and landed in Casablanca, North Africa on May 10, 1943. North Africa would be their departure point for the invasion of Sicily. Houseknecht fought in Sicily, Salerno, Naples and through the hills of southern Italy. On January 22nd &23rd 1944, the 82nd landed on the beach at Anzio and participated in heavy combat. On June 5-6 the paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne boarded hundreds of transport planes and gliders and, began the largest airborne assault in history. They were among the first soldiers to fight in Normandy, France. The division dropped behind Utah Beach, Normandy, France between Ste Mere-Eglise and Carentan on June 6th, 1944. They were reinforced by the 325th GIR the next day. Houseknecht was wounded in the arm at Ste Mere-Eglise. The Division's post battle report read, "...33 days of action without relief, without replacements. Every mission accomplished. No ground gained was ever relinquished." In September, Houseknecht took part in Operation Market Garden in Holland. On December 16, 1944, the Germans launched a surprise offensive through the Ardennes Forest which caught the Allies completely by surprise. The 82nd moved into action on December 17th in response to the German's Ardennes Counteroffensive. Private First Class Burton L. Houseknecht was killed in action during the Battle of the Bulge on December 21, 1944. Burton L Houseknecht is buried in Twin Hills Memorial Park, Fairfield Township, Pennsylvania.

philliephanatic

post-4806-0-22797500-1503866959_thumb.jpg

Burton Houseknecht was my grandmother's brother so I will add a few items that she kept that may be of some interest for this thread.

I have a great deal of interest in this grouping as I have been the caretaker of a similar grouping to a member of HQ 2/505 who was also killed on 21 December 1944. On that fateful day, elements of the 82nd Airborne Division had taken up defensive positions near Trois Ponts (Three Bridges), Belgium. It was there at the 82nd was hit head on by the 1st SS Panzer Division "Adolf Hitler." Yes, the infamous Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler was on the assault as they moved through the woods looking to break through the allied front and to prolong the war.

The soldiers of Joachim Peiper's battlegroup, Kampfgruppe "Peiper" were the pointy-end of the spear. They had been given orders to take no prisoners as prisoners would only slow the Kampfgruppe and the division down. It was this same group of battle-hardened soldiers who had committed the atrocities at Malmedy and would later murder eleven African-American soldiers from the 333rd Artillery Battalion in the hamlet of Wereth. The victims would be come to be known as the "Wereth 11," While these eleven had been taken prisoner, they were subsequently shot and their remains found by Allied troops two months later. The soldiers had their fingers cut off, legs broken, and at least one was shot while trying to bandage a comrade's wounds.

It is interesting to note that Houseknecht's wounds were consistent with those of my veteran's group AND those of the Wereth 11. Their legs were broken and they died of head wounds. My veteran, SGT Harold Woltz, was observed by members of his unit as having been led away form the front under guard. Just like the Wereth 11, Woltz's body wasn't found for more than a month after his murder.

I would submit that PFC Burton L. Houseknecht was most likely another victim of SS atrocities in the Bulge.

Allan

• 1 month later...
philliephanatic

My Uncle Burt's draft notice was filled out on October 4, 1942 and was mailed out to him on October 5.

post-4806-0-66644600-1507169917.jpg

• 2 months later...

I brought this back to commemorate the 73 anniversary of the death of Burton L. Houseknecht who was murdered by the SS while a POW during the Battle of the Bulge on December 21st 1944. May he Rest in Peace.

• 3 weeks later...
philliephanatic

I need to step in here and dispell the thought that Burton was killed by the SS after being wounded. I have been going back and forth on posting this because it is personal to me, and it isn't the most pleasant thing to talk about. I also don't want to step on anyone's toes because everyone on this forum has been kind and has contributed to this thread.

I am very sure it is not true that he was killed by the SS. I didn't comment before because war is gory and this is probably too much information. The letter written by General Gavin says he was killed by the burst of a mortar shell while on patrol. Some years after the war my grandmother and family met with Corporal Clifford E. Kennedy who lived in Antes Fort, Pennsylvania. That is about an hour away from Muncy, PA in Sullivan County. Cpl Kennedy served with Burton and was his buddy during the war. He told my family that the only way he knew it was Burt's body was because Burt was taller than most of the other guys and had an overcoat that was a bit darker than the others. He said that the shell had decapitated him, and if his leg was broken then that was probably caused by the shell. I believe this is what happened as it came from a soldier who served with Burt and who was there.

I hope people continue reading this post as I would be happy to share the information that I have. I will continue to add items from the scrapbook, and the few letters I have that his mother Laura kept as the 75th anniversary of events occur as I think I would like to continue sharing about my great uncle.

I am very glad that you've added the information here as it is important to know how your uncle died. The 21st of December was a terrible day for US and allied forces who bore the brunt of the German assault on the US positions at Trois Ponts. The fact that your uncle was killed by a mortar burst changes the belief that your uncle was murdered, but I would still submit that as it was the Waffen SS at the pointy end of the spear; whether he was killed with a gunshot, mortar, or beaten to death, he was still most likely killed by the SS. No matter how he died, just know that your uncle's sacrifice is remembered and honored here.

Thanks again for sharing all of the information that you have up to this point. I look forward to seeing other artifacts from your family that help us to understand this hero even better.

Allan

• 1 month later...
philliephanatic

I am attaching a letter that PFC Houseknecht wrote from Fort McClellan, AL that tells a little bit about the training he received before going to Europe. It was written to my aunt and uncle Florence and Ken Fogleman. Ken would later serve in the 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division.

post-4806-0-40238900-1519131168_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
philliephanatic

The first one was a V-Mail.

Here is an original drawing that he sent home as a Christmas letter. I have a copy of this one that was sent to my grandmother as a V-Mail. I like how the 82nd's Insignia is on them.

post-4806-0-78441500-1544803077.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Brian Dentino

I missed this the first time but was a great read and sorry I missed it earlier. Some very special items shown. We remember this brave soldier and his sacrifice. RIP PFC Houseknecht.

• 7 months later...
philliephanatic

Here is a letter sent from England after the 82nd Airborne Division returned from France. The 3 photos of German soldiers were included with it. My grandmother didn't know what happened to the 4th photo he included.

post-4806-0-68875300-1566162887_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
philliephanatic

I went on a tour of the Bulge over the last two weeks with the WWII Museum. While there, we visited Henri-Chapelle Cemetery. They let the staff know that one of Burt's relatives was coming. When we arrived, they took me to his grave and presented me with some research that they had on hand. They also brought out sand from Omaha Beach and showed me how to fill in the letters on his cross so they could be seen easier. Here is a photo of me with the cross and the letters are filled in. I will post others as I get them.

post-4806-0-53772300-1577463438_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
philliephanatic

My mother found another photo of PFC Houseknecht and I thought today would be a good day to share.  He wrote on the back that he was drunk when this was taken.

BurtonPhotos003 (1).jpg

• 1 year later...