Navy Rates 1975-1984

sigsaye

Since I have been posting more modern rates lately, I thought I might try and lay some out in time frames. These are what we were wearing from the '70s instead of the thick fully embroidered rates, and into the early '80s when the jumper uniform came back. AS you look at them, notice the subtle variations in eagle style. Mostly the tilt of the head. All these were pretty much used at the same time, don't think the Navy itself made the changes. I think it was more a matter of manufacture as the same variations are seen pretty much through the life of the "Real Eagles".

First up is an RM2 for blues. WE wore these on jumpers, coats and black shirts. Note that the original owner of this one just wacked off the bottem stripe with out thinking that it would fray and needed to be tucked and folded under. Sadly, this was very common, especially for the older guys who had gotten used to the old melton wool rates where that was just what you did, cut off what you did not need.

post-2104-0-35618000-1397064975.jpg

A second frayed RM2 Again, very common. many Sailors tried to put their won crows on their uniforms. It's ok if you know what you're doing.

post-2104-0-93408800-1397065195.jpg

Back of second frayed RM2. Sometimes when they realized what they had done, they would try a whip stitch across the bottem, which really was worse as it tended to be big and sloppy

post-2104-0-35284300-1397065262.jpg

back. Notice that they almost got this wrong. They trimmed off a bit too much and had to really push on the chevron point to get it up and stitched down. Usually, you notch the point and leave a bit to keep from fraying. Takes a few mistakes to figuer that out.

post-2104-0-93879300-1397065588.jpg

QM3 for white jumper, made of polyester. It has just been wacked off. These tended to not fray AS MUCH, but still frayed.

post-2104-0-18273700-1397065752.jpg

Back of BM3. Note this one has been folded differently than the last. There were no INSTRUCTIONS as to HOW to trim rates. It was just something you had to work out. Different tailors did it differently, as did Sailors who knew to fold them. It was just a matter of figuering out what worked.

post-2104-0-57791800-1397065971.jpg

NC2, white shirt. Rare as in those days, you had to be PO1 to be an NC. This is a bit of a sad story. The original owner of this crow was a BM2 (you've seen his crows so far). He made BM1 (coming up) qnd cross rated to NC1 (also coming up). I was on a ship home ported ("Forward Deployed" to Japan at the time. New NC1 got rough with his wife (sad but it happens). She went to hospital, he followed and punched a Nurse. He made NC2, then was dis rated to BM2 and sent home. SAd story, but not every one who wears a uniform is a hero, or een a stand up guy.

post-2104-0-74727600-1397066379.jpg

BM1 white jumper. The rates for the shirts were a cotton with a touch of polly in them. The Jumper crows were all Polly. They also made rates in double knit. Often, the polly crows for the jumpers were used on the commercially made white polly shirts. it was also not uncommon to find cotton crows worn on the white polly jumpers.

post-2104-0-85373000-1397066741.jpg