Is there any group recording the history of our Veterans?

sheepy

I am aware of Story Corp, but is there an group that specifically records our veterans and compiles these recordings?

world war I nerd

The Veteran's History Project is an excellent source of written and recorded first hand accounts oby veterans from WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, etc.

The WW I section, which is the only one I'm familiar with has provided me with a wealth of information on the life of the average WW I Doughboy.

I highly recommend the site. It's one of the few things our government has gotten right. You can find it here:

http://www.loc.gov/vets/

great thanks! If anyone else out there has some light to shed please chime in. Maybe we can make it a combined mission by all USMF members. I realize thats what we already are doing, but it seems easy to get caught up in the "look at my stack of helmets" mind set when some of the men and women who dawned these items can really share the true story!

thefallenbuddha

I think if you look around you can find virtually every local historical society or related historically-minded institution has some form of oral history program and/or repository dedicated to veterans' interviews and accounts.

A large (Vietnam focused) one that comes to mind is the ongoing oral history program at the Vietnam War Center at Texas Tech.