1910 10-pocket Eagle Snap Cartidge Belt in Olive Drab shade?

TrenchRat

Good day all,

I'd like to know if the 1910 10-pocket eagle snap cartridge belt was ever produced in the olive drab shade? I would think that any produced prior to 1914 would be in that color as opposed to the pea green shade from 1914 thru 1917.

Any advice is well appreciated. I would really like to get my hands one one...!

world war I nerd

Trenchrat, if you're talking about a rimless eagle snap ten pocket cartridge belt I would say yes, because I used to own one.

I've yet to find any documentation as to when the pea green color actually came into use or even if the Army called the pea green shade of green anything other than OD. The bluer shade of OD or what we often refer to as "pea green" could be the result of the shortage of dye that before the war (WW I) had been imported from Germany.

Prior to WW I America essentially had no dye industry. As WW I progressed, between 1914 and 1917 the Quartermaster Department/Corps and U.S. textile mills had to learn how to create suitable shades of OD dye on the fly. Because the beginning of WW I and the date that much of the Army's web gear began to appear in the pea green shade of OD coincide, I suggest the dwindling supply of imported dyes as a possibility, but have absolutely no proof to back it up.

However, based on what I've seen over the years, I'd say that OD eagle snap belts run from 1907 up to around 1913 or 1914. Most, if not all of the eagle snap belts that were dated 1915 and later all seem to be made from various shades of the pea green color.

WWI Nerd,

I figured I would hear from you. You have given me hope that I may fInd one. All I have come across were in Pea Green thus far...

Thanks as always for the information...

TR

I have one; it matches the color of my first pattern 1910 haversack in OD.

Just have to keep an eye out. If you have no comparison to other colors in pictures, the color is easily mistaken for a dull grey khaki. Pea Green can usually be picked out as it seems more vibrant most of the time, at least in my opinion.

Doc,

Thanks for the reply.

The belt I have is the same color green as the body of my first pattern pack as well. I am trying to not have duplicates so that's why I am looking for the belt on the OD shade....basically the same shade as the typical webb straps on the early 1910 packs.

I am pretty much going for the OD shade as illustrated in the Webb Gear Color post by WWI nerd and New Romantic. Those colors look right with the gear I have...

I put out a trade offer, so maybe I will get lucky there..