Mickey Rooney (1920-2014)

aerialbridge

aerialbridge

I had the pleasure of seeing him in person a few years ago when he read the Gettysburg Address at the annual Lincoln's birthday observance at the Los Angeles National Cemetery in Westwood. An American original has passed on. Thank you for the great entertainment you gave for 80 years. Rest in peace, Mickey.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/mickey-rooney-golden-age-box-office-giant-dies-at-93-1201153308/

post-18406-0-17379900-1396844363.jpg

Per the article:

"From 1944-46, Rooney served in the U.S. Army in the Jeep Theater, traveling 150,000 miles entertaining the troops and acting as a radio personality on the American Forces Network."

aerialbridge

Bridges at Toko-Ri was one of my favorites, too, among his many movies. He could do it all- comedy, drama, war movies and great voice-overs for childrens' animation. He started out making movies in 1926 and was still working at his death. 88 years- I can't think of anyone in Hollywood with a longer career-span. He was one of a kind in a business that seems to be more and more about rehashing what's already been done-- and usually better the first time.

post-18406-0-51676900-1396847314.jpg

kyhistorian01

I had the pleasure of corresponding with him back in the late 1990s and I have is autograph in my collection. Here is a photo I found of him. Rest in Peace, Mr Rooney.

post-6492-0-84429100-1396881006.jpg

Sad too see him go, but that's the way it goes as he would of said.

Here's nice group clips, I loved the him in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, and Night at the Muesum :lol: