Parachute Camo Helmet Covers

bfryar44

Found some interesting footage showing non-Airborne GI's utilizing camo parachute material for helmet covers. This was fairly uncommon especially among Infantry types. Anyone have any photos of camo parachutes used as helmet covers? think.gif

Bfryar44

Unidentified 1st Infantry Division Soldier in Normandy 1944. Screencaps from the DVD "France is Free".

post-1-1232251077.jpg

post-1-1232251083.jpg

Unidentified 90th Infantry Division Soldier in Normandy 1944. Screencaps from the DVD "Combat Reels, 90th ID in Normandy"

post-1-1232251097.jpg

post-1-1232251124.jpg

the use of parasilk in this way was common (but FAR from universal) in the 509th Parachute battalion in Southern France August 44.

• 7 months later...

Well, after a long long time, here are the photos showing Rangers at Brest. I just did not find yet a good copy of the color film showing one of the soldiers wearing the diamond Rangers patch.

Anyway, first one is a group of Easy co 5th Rng taken shortly after the battle. "Beck" Beccue at right

post-1-1232251405.jpg

Both photos below were taken near Saint Renan, North of Brest. Those soldiers are from the 2nd Rng Bn. Photos are not clear but originals are showing camo parachute with no doubts.

post-1-1232251426.jpg

post-1-1232251513.jpg

Yannick

Hi Bryan,

These members of the 2nd Rangers battalion have just been awarded the DSC after their action on D-Day at La Pointe du Hoc. Five of them are wearing parachute camo helmet covers.

Hope it helps,

Sincerely, Dan

post-1-1209439107.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
90thDivHistory

Bryan,

I ran across these photos after reading this thread and thought you would really enjoy seeing them. This photo was taken on June 6th 1944 and was late in the day. It is of either the 1st or 3rd battalion of the 359th Infantry.

post-2231-1203831546.jpg

90thDivHistory

Here is the whole picture. I found it at the national archives in a very unexpected place. I had never seen these covers before. I also found a 90th Div guy carrying a paratrooper carbine in the square at St.Come Du Mont. Hope you like these.

Tyler

post-2231-1203832264.jpg

Cool pics everyone....thought I would share my camo parachute covered para helmet.....mike ( it did not come this way, after seeing this thread I spruced up the jump helmet with a piece of original parachute material)

post-350-1204079481.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

90th ID -- my favourite US Army division in WWII history. :)

No wonder 90th soldiers had para canopy camouflaged helmets. There is an image known where 90th soldier uses even M1A1 para carbine. At Normandy 90th several times had the contacts with the 82nd Abn.

And my camouflaged cap for my long distance forest trips with my dog B)

post-75-1205188752.jpg

Look also at the link http://www.band-of-brothers.nl/artikel/eve_rel_2004_gge.htm where Michel De Trez prepared airborne exhibition. Pay your attention to Col. Benjamin Vandervoort's mannequin. It also look like Vandervoort had parachute canopy on his helmet and additionally it was covered by net. Knowing Michel De Trez's perfectionism I guess there are the proofs that Vandervoort had such a helmet.

• 6 months later...

This picture was taken in july 1944 in the vicinity of la Haye du Puits. (82nd AB div. sector)

The soldier in the center behind the staff sergeant is wearing a camo helmet cover.

post-1681-1221593067.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not positive but I think I found this photo on Google Life.....looks like maybe camo parachute material covers used by the 82nd being visited by JFK in 1961.......mike

post-350-1236445292.jpg

craig_pickrall

That same photo is used in the 187 RCT Unit History.

Here is 2 more pics when they are on the line. One is a burlap cover and the other is parachute camo.

post-5-1237002707.jpg

post-5-1237002696.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That famous picture of the 90th Infantry Division GI carrying a Paratrooper carbine was actually Saint Marie Du Mont and not Sainte Come Du Mont. Saint Marie Du Mont was also an objective of the 101st Airborne Division and no elements of the 82nd were ever anywhere near that town unless a runner had been sent to make contact with the 101st, so it's far more likely that the M1A1 Carbine once belonged to a member of the 101st although the 90th did no fighting with that Division but plenty of fighting with the 82nd Airborne.

• 2 months later...

Many troopers of the 509th PIB used to wear parachute silk on their helmets in South of France in August 1944.

Some even sewed camouflaged parachute silk on their berets, which were British Pattern Berets.

I know the original post related to WWll helmets but I will also mention that in the early 60's, everyone at Ft Bragg used the camo (Reserve) parachute material as helmet covers. (Early recycling??)

• 1 month later...