AAF sleeping bags

kammo-man

Anyone have any info on WW2 Army Air Force sleeping bags ?

Where they used on board or not ?

Just want to lean

Owen

• 11 months later...
dogfacedsoldier

I had one, still might, in so-so shape similar to a casualty sleeping bag from Korea, white lettering with big AAF symbol w/Air Forces or Army Air Forces under it. Goose down filler. Removable sheet cover inside. Very soft and hot to use. I see them on ebay every now and again. late 1944 or early 45 dated. It was large and heavy. I believe it was to be used for the wounded. It had a lot of info on it. I can't remember if it survived our house fire. or not. I want to get another one someday.

Jon

dogfacedsoldier

I remembered some more about the bag. Not a mummy type, one zipper along the outside of the bag, it opens into two halves. Which is why I thought it was for casualties. At any rate a great sleeper.

Jon

phantomfixer

The AAF used the A3 sleeping bag....a big heavy very warm bag....not saying they didn't use the standard army bag too...but the A-3 side zipped all the way, had a sheet, kinda cool...and a big winged star...not sure when it entered service but was a WWII bag...43/44??

Kinda similar to the USMC 1950 comforter

I do recall A C47 crew chief telling me he slept a lot on his plane in Europe, using his sleeping bag, beat trying to find a tent and kept all his parts on his plane....crew chiefs never change : )

Here is an A-3 bag from a B-26 pilot's group that I have.

post-203-0-63860000-1426633200.jpg

USAAF Markings

post-203-0-25561900-1426633199.jpg

Specification markings on the outer shell

post-203-0-00183800-1426633200.jpg

Spec markings on the bag

post-203-0-13856300-1426633338.jpg