question on Trapdoor bayonet

rustbucket

I'm curious how this type of bayonet was attached to a soldiers gear. I had heard that the brass end went through one of the cartridge loops on a mills belt, but that seems a little awkward as the bayonet sits a few inches behind the brass end, which I would think would push it uncormortably into the soldiers anatomy :)

Any insights appreciated. See attached photo.

Steve

post-124022-0-36578000-1396655031.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Hi Steve,

that hook could indifferently go through one, or between two, loops of a Mills cartridge belt. Once I owned a M. 1880 Hunting Knife with its scabbard having been subsequently modified with the very same brass hook, I put it on display attached to a Mills Belt and it worked OK.

Your hook simply, does replace the earlier original leather loop (a wide one) of the bayonet scabbard, as first designed. I think it couldn't be more uncomfortably on soldier, than it could have been the same scabbard when fitted with that original loop.

will attach some pics of early scabbard, as taken from a book. Franco.

BlueBookGuy

The Mod. 1873 scabbard for "Trapdoor" bayonet, with its original leather loop.

Hope this may be useful - Franco.

post-151851-0-99818100-1396697463.jpg

Thanks for the info. I suppose that whoever designed it never had to wear one!

Simply reversing the bayonet to where it pointed outward would seem a no brainer.

Steve

This bayonet is NOT uncomfortable to wear. I've worn one many times doing Indian Wars living history impressions. My rig has the leather loop for the old style leather belts, but the hook on the mills belt wears about the same. The scabbard swivels easily and is a lot less likely to bind up than the Civil War style bayonet scabbards. If the bayonet was reversed and the throat was to the outside (like the C.W. Enfield scabbards), it would be easier for the bayonet throat to catch on straps, and other items. During the Indian Wars, bayonets like Cavalry sabers were often left behind when units took to the field.

• 10 months later...
RedStateRanger

I have a similar bayonet and scabbard for my Trapdoor. The back of the leather is stamped "A.R. SMITH". Figured it was the maker's name....is that right?

post-155290-0-77356300-1423147797.jpg

post-155290-0-93999900-1423147818.jpg

post-155290-0-67888900-1423147833.jpg

• 3 weeks later...