EGA Collar Discs

kanemono

Here are three EGA collar discs that came with a Marine group I have. The Marine was a QM Sergeant who served from 1900 to 1919. These discs and a dress EGA were part of the group. I looked at the reference section on the collar EGAs and I am still not sure if the pair are WW1 period or 1920's. I have looked at the backs of the pair and I don't think they are cast but rather over heated when they were brazed together. I think the excess heat filled in the groves around the square and melted the edge of the small disc. Any ideas?

Dick

post-9487-0-67530500-1396652100.jpg

post-9487-0-51098500-1396652107.jpg

post-9487-0-83588600-1396652119.jpg

I'm still learning, but I think the one on the right is the original purchase pattern.

I think the other two, are still French made WW1 pieces. All three look right as rain to me.

I also believe that upon returning to the states, in 1920, the round disk backing was removed and the EGA became a stand-alone collar device.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Hi Dick,

There are a few forum members who are quite a bit more knowledgable than I am on ega discs, but I have studied what is at least posted on the forum and in references. This is one,of the better threads:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8096-ww1-ega-collar-discs/

First, I think all are period pieces. As already mentioned the one on the far right is an example of the "issue" piece, thought to be the ones first ordered by the AEF when still in France and issued to members of the 4th Brigade. You will find this variety most often with untouched original fourth brigade groups. The second variety encountered is what some refer to as the army navy type. These were sold in army navy stores in the states during or near the end of WWI and are found sometimes on 5th brigade material (Marines who arrived in France in September and October but didn't see combat). Neither of your other two discs appear to be of that type, as the eagles had long wings, and yours don't conform to that pattern. One very knowledgable forum member once said there might be as many as eight different patterns of discs. The thread I shared with you above might suggest at least one of the two others you have are 1920's veteran pieces produced after the war for vets who continued to wear their uniforms for reunions, etc. I look forward to what some more knowledgeable members might have to say on this topic. Kevin