WWI French Made ? Collar Disks

Brig

Picked up this pair of National Guard Signal Corps pinback disks, are they French made?

101_5270_zps060c4036.jpg

101_5271_zpsf19bfc40.jpg

I have a WW1 US Air Service coat with French-made collar discs...they are of similar construction to the examples you have there.

I suspect they are -- I have always read that French-made discs were pinbacks. However, the first collar discs made for the '07 uniforms were pinbacks too. They proved to be fragile -- easily detached -- so they were made screwbacks.

G

• 8 months later...

A great many of the collar disks that came out of the "Frank Brothers Cache" that surfaced in San Antonio about 25 years ago have this style pin back hardware. At the local militaria shows there are still a few gents who have riker mounts filled with disks from Frank Bros.

They are all in NOS condition. I suspect these came from that find.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I believe those are actually US made pin back discs. They have the typical US style pin hardware, blackened finish and relatively thick discs.

French made pins had a different pin design, the finish usually more of a brownish color, and had rather thin discs.

CB

daniel griffin

French made collar disks generally have a thin wire type catch as opposed to the wider catches on the US made disks.

French made collar disks generally have a thin wire type catch as opposed to the wider catches on the US made disks.

To add to what Dan said, French discs tend to have a pin that extends a bit passed the disc's edge, as well.

Jag