USN/US Army Silver Star differences?

Corpsman_1941

Corpsman_1941

Are there any visible differences between Us Army and USN/USMC WWII Silver Star?

Regards

James

501stGeronimo

<p>Yes, I dont normally dabble with medals but I believe the Navy SS platchet is thinner than the army and the USN is a wrap brooch where army is slot. </p>

Actually, from the front, they pretty much look the same. Navy Silver Stars from WWII have a thick brooch with a satin (matte) finish and the wrap brooch has a hook shaped locking catch. You can see examples of this on just about any wrap brooch navy issue medal- shooting medals, reserve medal, or the Type 2 Navy Purple Heart.

WWII Army Silver Stars usually have a more polished appearance. If they have a wrap brooch, they will either have a split wrap brooch when made by the firm of Bailey, Banks and Biddle, or will have a wrap brooch with a straight "drop in" catch which means that the pin doesn't have to be pushed down below the catch in order to be secured. The most common army Silver Stars have a slot brooch. If the Silver Star is numbered, it is an army contract.

There is one last thing to consider- Army Silver Stars abound. I will bet there are at least a half dozen currently for sale in the medals section. Navy Silver Stars are REALLY hard to find. You can expect to pay two to three times more than an Army example.

Allan

<p>Yes, I dont normally dabble with medals but I believe the Navy SS platchet is thinner than the army and the USN is a wrap brooch where army is slot. </p>

The Navy is "Thicker" not thinner.

Mark

Geronimo got it bass ackwards as they say. :D

501stGeronimo

The Navy is "Thicker" not thinner.

Mark

Geronimo got it bass ackwards as they say. :D

Hardy Har Har :D I do tend to walk down aisles backwards so I guess it carries over into typing :rolleyes:

I thought I might mention that there is one army contract Silver Star that has a wrap brooch and a thick pendant. The brooch is the standard army style, and the thick pendant was not numbered on this production run.

Allan

Left is ARMY broach - right is NAVY broach

NAVY Silver Stars are not Numbered.

Corpsman - this is slot broach Army version.

Lubos

post-8933-0-73201400-1396693186.jpg