HELP WITH THIS SUB BADGE WITH EGA

88thcollector

88thcollector

This was found at a flea market with no provenance. It is a Gemsco sterling/14kgf. The EGA is 14k and has both latitude and longitude lines. I can't find any reference anywhere, I was speculating that maybe it was a Marine guard.

post-827-0-53202100-1396620814.jpg

post-827-0-41392300-1396621062.jpg

I recall seeing a sub badge a couple years ago with an EGA affixed, being sold as a Raider crest from Guadalcanal or some such nonsense that was total bull. It looks like a sweetheart piece was attached to a set of sub dolphins, for what purpose I do not know

My guess is this is either a fantasy badge put together with original parts, or a customized sweetheart piece, perhaps for a mother who had a son in both the Marines and Navy, or a man who saw service with both branches.

I don't think Marines were tasked specifically with guarding submarines until they started churning out nuclear ones

This was found at a flea market with no provenance. It is a Gemsco sterling/14kgf. The EGA is 14k and has both latitude and longitude lines. I can't find any reference anywhere, I was speculating that maybe it was a Marine guard.

The exact same thing showed up on ebay back in 2008: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14910-ega-on-gold-submarine-pin/

The description for that noted it was "die struck" and they are both Gemsco sterling/14kgf so we know it isn't something someone put together at home.

It certainly does not look like something that would be worn by, say, a mother with a child in the Marines and one in subs.

I would guess it was perhaps made for a reunion. We had the Makin raiders on a sub during WWII and Recon Marines training on subs in the late 1940's through the 1967.

sealion.jpg

Lovely badge but certainly an unauthorized novelty. I had a Marine buddy with 2nd Radio at Camp Lejeune who made a Med Cruise on the Sea Lion in 1957, I believe attached to Recon. This badge may have been created by a Marine who had a similar tour. My 2-cents. Bobgee

This badge may have been created by a Marine who had a similar tour.

These are die-stamped so it likely was made by Gemsco.