Stephen Pyne, the man who stole heros medals-never forget

squidres

Seems odd. Computer hackers and people who mess with kids can be court ordered to stay away from certain things, why couldn't this guy be ordered to never hassle with medals again? A judge could do that...

In a case like this, a court can only order those things as long as a person is in prison or on extended supervision (probation or parole). Once they have completed their entire sentence and released from supervision these limitations no longer apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolute Shame, but we as a community can keep the scarlet letter on him virtually by sharing the story and making folks aware of who he is, his deceitful acts, and his general poor character

That may be a bit extreme, I am just astounded that he stopped using his alias and came back into the fold using his real name. I spoke with many collector friends, and most were not aware of what he did. I guess it seemed like he felt safe. From one deal that he was working, it sounds like he was trying to push fake numbered campaign medals for big bucks. Same old tricks, different method.

USMC-RECON0321

Is it possible to post a picture of this despicable example of a human being? That may connect the dots for many who may be crossing paths with him and not even knowing it.

I have the same visceral reaction, but the best way to eliminate this cancer is to make people aware and cut off his source of income....our fellow collectors.

• 7 years later...

Stephen pyne is being more bold and open.  He is selling on Facebook desk or no deal.  Spread the word.  I can only think moderators are not aware of his past

I bumped into him in December 2019 when he contacted me by USMF PM asking to buy a small group to a NYNG BG. Turns out he was the owner of the general's First War SSM w/thumbnail OLC and he was looking to reunite the group. He signed all his posts just "Steve." His USMF handle at the time was "gettysburg." Being a long-time medal collector myself, I could appreciate how difficult it is to put a broken group back together . . . so we agreed on a price and he mailed the check promptly. I noticed that his full name on the check was "Stephen V. Pyne." I responded by asking straight out if he was "the" Steve Pyne. He took his time in answering but finally admitted that he was, that he deeply regretted his past sins, had paid his debt to society, etc. I replied that I would not have agreed to the deal if I had known his identity at the outset and that I would mail his check back to him, which I did. He did tell me that he understood my position. Evidently "gettysburg" is no longer an active member on the Forum. 

5 hours ago, squidres said:

Stephen pyne is being more bold and open.  He is selling on Facebook desk or no deal.  Spread the word.  I can only think moderators are not aware of his past

and yet i'm enjoying a 3 day ban for throwing a fake syrette into a group of very real things i was selling and saying, "fake lead syrette" in the damned description

I certainly remember this con man.  A lot of people were taken in by him.  I even remember something about him being accused of volunteering as a docent at a cemetery where at least one CW MoH recipient was interred just so he could dig up the remains and see if the man was really buried with his medal.  No matter that he paid his debt for his crimes, a conman doesn't change.

ErwinRommel1940
On 1/18/2022 at 8:04 AM, squidres said:

I contacted one of the moderators when I saw him bidding on another member’s item a few months ago. The moderator informed me that he had mentioned something to the page admins in the past and that they felt ok allowing in the group since he had “paid for his sins.” 

• 8 months later...