The Military Order of The Cootie

Fred Borgmann

Is there anything on the reverse of these insect pins that directly associates them with the Military Order of the Cootie?

I picked this up at a local flea market over the weekend from a vendor- It is sans the ribbon- I got it because I remembered reading something about this order on the forum and funny this thread should pop up tonight

post-30395-0-61519700-1553484448_thumb.jpg

back -sorry best I can do without my flat bed scanner-its down at the moment. Can you tell me about the hallmarks on the back, please? thanks. dave

post-30395-0-24622300-1553484504_thumb.jpg

Hello

My friends neighbor Bob is 73and ex Marine!

He is a member and was telling me about theCootie!

Here is Bob's jacket!

PVON

post-263-0-95780900-1553531955_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-12493900-1553531972_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-01055200-1553532003_thumb.jpg

pic

shirt was shown!

post-263-0-34961500-1553532086_thumb.jpg

It was funny how he explained how everything is backward!

Roll call and your name! Answer not here!

Salute sorta Three Stooge style!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone been able to determine the meaning behind the ribbon bars for M.O.C. badges?  I reached out to the organization, but since I am not a member, the response implied the answers would not be forthcoming.

MOCwithBars.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, 

Are you talking about the rank bar? If so, combine this from Frederick with the chart that I added in the "VFW National Headquarters Badge" and you will have that answer. The badge you are showing is a Past Post Advocate, Adjutant, Quartermaster or Surgeon. 

On 7/5/2008 at 8:48 PM, frederick said:

Illustration two.

post-1633-1215308872.jpg

gravdiggr,

I am referring to the bars as seen on the M.O.C. ribbon.  Not including the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree bars, I have seen the following

AZORES

HOSTILE WATERS

PATROL

BELGIUM

ENGLAND

FRANCE

GERMANY

LUXEMBURG

MEXICO

How many bars were there?  What do they mean?  Is there an order of precedence?  When were they used?  When did they stop using them?  There are so many questions, but I have yet to find answers.  I am hoping someone more familiar with M.O.C. history can help.

Kevin

• 1 month later...
easterneagle87

Out junking after my training class was done, I came across this Cootie cap in an antique mall. I didn't get it, but thought I'd at least post the pictures here.  Not sure if the all of the plastic animals attached are a symbol of status or just decoration. They were pretty proud of it at $110.

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

On 8/4/2020 at 1:55 AM, KevinBeyer said:

gravdiggr,

I am referring to the bars as seen on the M.O.C. ribbon.  Not including the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree bars, I have seen the following

AZORES

HOSTILE WATERS

PATROL

BELGIUM

ENGLAND

FRANCE

GERMANY

LUXEMBURG

MEXICO

How many bars were there?  What do they mean?  Is there an order of precedence?  When were they used?  When did they stop using them?  There are so many questions, but I have yet to find answers.  I am hoping someone more familiar with M.O.C. history can help.

Kevin

In addition to the ones you cited, I've seen:

Scotland

Ireland

Poland

Cuba 

Philippines

Hawaii

The MOC's lineage goes through the VFW to the Spanish War Veterans, hence the last three bars. There's probably a China bar but haven't seen an example yet.

Since the badges and bars are unofficial and probably privately purchased, the member could buy whatever he wanted/felt entitled to. For an example, I have a First War group which includes a MOC membership badge engraved on the reverse to a "Past Supreme Seam Squirrel 1927," a top broach with four stars, and two bars on the ribbon (Patrol, France). The recipient was Malachi F. Healy who served as a mechanic in an AEF balloon unit in France, which explains the one bar but not "Patrol." As far as I can tell, there was no order of precedence. I'm not sure when the use/sale of the two styles of badges that are illustrated in this thread ceased, my guess is sometime after WW II. 

The MOC has a women's auxiliary, the Cootiettes, who had their own set of insignia. The older examples are small lapel pins, often struck in gold or gold-filled. The "cootie" more closely resembles a scarab.

Hope this helps.

3mxd,

That does help quite a bit.  Now I am on the lookout for a lot more bars!  Would you happen to have photos of any of the bars not previously depicted?  At the very least, would you be able to share a photo of the Past Supreme Seam Squirrel badge?  It sounds really interesting!

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of the more unusual bars to the membership medal/badge. Note that the pendants are both of the second/later(?) type. Evidently you could get a gilded upgrade.

009.JPG.0ff29cc418842cb70658128342a10ec1.JPG011.JPG.1a95fbc6028855dfd4f5e9e6f3862193.JPG

Here are the obverse and reverse images of membership medal of the Past Grand Supreme Seam Squirrel. 005.JPG.f88113c73ca0e1f15766d22190d3f9f2.JPG

013.JPG.0083935b704d554de8ceb11492c821a5.JPG

Note the apparent engraving error in "Supreme." He must have left out the "P,"  added the "foot" to the "R" (compare that "R" to those in "squirrel," and then cut in the "P." Incidentally, Healy was not the model soldier, he was reduced and promoted a number of times, a not unusual career pattern in AEF soldiers.

Those are fantastic Cootie badges!  I've never seen those bars before and appreciate your sharing them.

There is a good chance that the engraver made the letter "P", lost concentration, then added the down stroke thus making the "R", then had to fix things by adding the irregular P.  The funny thing is, this is exactly the kind of craziness I would expect from a cootie.  So, there is a non-zero chance that this was on purpose. 😄

Kevin

• 1 month later...
easterneagle87

So cruising other for buckles and this one popped up. Described as Gold Tone Honey Bee. SURE looks like a COOTIE to me. Won't be the first time something is mis-labeled. 

Cootie.jpg

• 2 years later...
Salvage Sailor
On 8/7/2016 at 9:40 AM, Salvage Sailor said:

Haven't seen a Cootie patch on the forum yet.....

Grand Scratch Pacific Areas 1972

Japanese made 4"

VFW Military Order of the Cootie Grand Scratch 1972 001.jpg

VFW Military Order of the Cootie Grand Scratch 1972 002.jpg

Grand Scratch IV

Grand of the Pacific, Taipei, Taiwan, 1973

2119802906_VFWMilitaryOrderoftheCootieGrandScratch1973001.JPG.398c1065d9d862413e44585d4c44a255.JPG

547665355_VFWMilitaryOrderoftheCootieGrandScratch1973002.JPG.93bc2d4a617907b8b209b47dc4e65d1a.JPG

and the previous year, 1972 Honolulu

1250312857_VFWMilitaryOrderoftheCootieGrandScratch1972001.jpg.7b7b898bb99578ca25b4d19c12928b20.jpg

1193627060_VFWMilitaryOrderoftheCootieGrandScratch1972002.jpg.712d782d8082abeae13466b5018688e6.jpg

Are those patches original?  They are in excellent condition for being 50 years old!

Do the Cooties still make patches and other trinkets for their annual reunions?

Salvage Sailor
3 minutes ago, KevinBeyer said:

Are those patches original?  They are in excellent condition for being 50 years old!

Do the Cooties still make patches and other trinkets for their annual reunions?

Brightly colored, stiff & crisp - like brand new

• 2 months later...

Tightwad Pup Tent?  Ho boy!  The Cooties were something else!

• 2 months later...
easterneagle87

Cootie buckle listed on ebay right now. 

Military Order Of The Cootie Belt Buckle MOC PA Pennsylvania Vintage 80s

Cootie buckle.jpg

I find it so peculiar that there are a lot of Cootie items on eBay, but it is a rare thing to find early membership badges.  I really would like to know more about early Cootie membership insignia.

• 5 months later...
easterneagle87

Just saw these in a local antique store. I find the topic interesting, but not enough to start buying down this rabbit hole. If some one wants me to "bird dog" them for their collection, PM me. I'll be happy to do it. At $17.50 each, I don't think they are too out of line. Maybe they'll go on sale.  

Merry Christmas to all!

Ben

IMG_7915.jpg

IMG_7916.jpg