black light

Thor996

Not sure where to put this: but could someone please recommend what type of blacklight a patch collector should purchase to check his/her collection? thanks in advance.

A handheld model as available on eBay for under 15 bucks works great

Just search handheld blacklight. I like the tube bulb types vs the flashlight types

RustyCanteen

Something to keep in mind is that not all black lights are created equal. Different wavelengths can give different results. I have also seen people get 'false positives' because they only know to look for a 'glow', but they forget many of the hand-held units used by collectors are essentially flashlights. The intensity/glare of the light can be mistaken for a 'glow'.

I use both a florescent tube type, and an LED flashlight type (two different frequencies in one). So between the two I get three different frequencies. Keep in mind you do get what you pay for.

ocsfollowme

I find it important to leave a fake patch next to the bulb when you use it. That way, the false positives are reduced. For comparison purposes.

Something to keep in mind is that not all black lights are created equal. Different wavelengths can give different results. I have also seen people get 'false positives' because they only know to look for a 'glow', but they forget many of the hand-held units used by collectors are essentially flashlights. The intensity/glare of the light can be mistaken for a 'glow'.

Thank you both for the advice. Thanks to all this information I find on this forum and in my reference books I am aware that the black light is not the end all test to finding out if a patch is WW2 or earlier era- but yet one more tool in the box. A tool that has to be used properly and with discretion to the price I pay for it-

• 6 months later...
Patchcollector

I've been looking for a decent black light for awhile,and here is the light I purchased.I like it because it's versatile.It produces different types of light,and is well made for the money.Free shipping and batteries included for under 9 bucks sealed the deal for me!

Link here:

http://www.13deals.com/store/item.php?id=39206&pop=off

Here is some more info about the light:

Product Info
Well-designed reliably built, this cool flashlight gives you six lighting instruments in one easy-to-carry tool. Unique top bottom dual switches are conveniently located on barrel for quick thumb action. Advanced LED technology allows battery life 10X of regular flashlights uses 3-AA batteries - batteries are included. 100,000-hour life LED, shock resistant. Dimensions: 5-3/4" length, 1-3/8" barrel diameter, 1-7/8" lamp-head diameter weight 7 oz with batteries. Double-anodized aluminum barrel for durability & corrosion resistance.

One quality lighting tool that performs six functions!
Weather-resistant aluminum body
18 super-bright white LED for general lighting
5mW FDA-approved red laser pointer
Six ultraviolet LED 390nm wavelength for finding pet stains, scorpions, check documents & I.D.
Six green LED provide excellent night vision without disturbing most animals
18 LED emergency strobe light
Handy dual-switches on barrel control all functions

post-13386-0-29653700-1414858482.jpg

I use both, the tube types are handy but are lower powered and you need to hole up at show to really see. My tactical flashlight one from AGM was expensive but very bright, but sometimeswth that one people get the "refelction vs. reaction" wrong. If you hold a flashlight UV light 1" away from a white patch of course it is going to look like it is glowing. but actual reaction will happen even at great distances. As was stated, best to have a "conrol" patch for comparison. We just have a rule - no UV lights in the hotel room - we don't want to know.

Patchcollector

You're welcome Thor996.Just one thing.It takes a little bit to get the hang of the "controls" on these things.There are two "buttons",one on either side of the flashlight.Keep pressing the "button" to cycle through all the light options.You can even "combine" the different lights if desired.It's kind of weird and took me a few minutes to figure it out.

0bx,keep checking back.They sometimes offer the same items repeatedly.I believe that this model is also offered on eBay and probably other sites too,for different prices though.

• 3 months later...

I have a friend who ALWAYS finds old stuff in estate sales before I can until I found one of his secrets. It's not full proof but we all know how you have to be quick at sales.

If there were stacks of books or papers like in a book case, he would quickly pass these items shining his uv light on it. You could determine the older stuff without having to paw through it all. It does work especially in attics and darker spaces. If you were to shine it on an old book by itself you might not notice anything but it really stands out if it's the only old item laying beside newer stuff.

Just another tool to think about.

Steve