Pre WWI Officer's Field Desk

New Romantic

New Romantic

I acquired this field desk in 2006 from a friend who saved it from two old ladies at an antique shop in Winchester, VA.

It is Id'd to a Capt John W. French who commanded B company of the 26th Infantry in 1916. The desk is quite small and I placed a canteen and officers' Service Cap by it for scale. Included with the desk was an empty ink well and some emphera spanning 1916 to 1920. I haven't researched this fellow yet and I am curious about his career in the Army. According to the 1916 Christmas dinner card that came with the desk, Capt French was commanding Company B in 1916.

A little bit on the desk's discovery- A couple of years ago my friend was coming back from a show and he happened to stop by an antique store in Winchester, VA. He noticed this item, but he was going to pass on it b/c he thought it was overpriced. As he was browsing around the store, he overheard two ladies who were looking at the desk and how they might buy it, then fill in the carved name ontop and turn it into a sewing box! Fearing a piece of history was going to be destroyed, he quickly went over and told them, "This item is sold!"

post-599-1212004326.jpg

post-599-1212004339.jpg

New Romantic

Inside showing the inner tray and fold down desk, plus the space below the tray. As you can see this makes a handy space to store personal effects I have.

post-599-1212004403.jpg

post-599-1212004431.jpg

post-599-1212004563.jpg

New Romantic

Here's the ephemera that came with the desk, mostly Xmas cards and a menu for mess. Seems the fellow that owned the desk was really into food.

Xmas Card, 1916, Mexican Border time period. Capt French is listed in the card along with other soldiers of B Company.

post-599-1212004655.jpg

post-599-1212004664.jpg

post-599-1212004670.jpg

New Romantic

1919 Xmas Card

Capt French is not listed in the 1919 Xmas card, so I'm wondering what became of him since 1916. I'm assuimg he would have been promoted since then. Maybe he transferred to another unit. Or he was KIA in France. Based on the items that came with this desk, it did stay with the 26th Inf for a while. Perhaps it changed hands several times?

post-599-1212004866.jpg

post-599-1212004876.jpg

According to the 1922 Army Register, French was from TX and was an EM with 21st Infy before being commissioned in 1898. He served with the 26th from 1914 as CPT and MAJ before being promoted to LTC (temp) in 1918. He made COL (NA) the same year, then reverted back to LTC. Was assigned to 24th Infy in '19. Made COL again in '20 and retired that year.

I can tell nothing of his overseas service, but suspect he could be traced through assigned units. His WW1 unit assignments are unclear.

Hope this helps.

G

New Romantic

Thank you for your info Gil!

One theory about the desk's later ownership is that maybe the company's mess sergeant may have possessed the desk for some time. I need to look at the cards and mess menu again, but I think I recall that the mess sergeant stayed in the company from 1916-1920. Hence the reason why the two Xmas cards- with dinner menus in each, plus the 1920 mess menu were kept. The 1st Division 1918 holiday card may indicate that the desk made it's way to France.

• 1 year later...