Jeep question

fireguyfire

fireguyfire

I am the owner of a 1947 CJ2A. I am curious as to which model of jeeps were predominately used in Korea; were they ww2 GPW's left over, or did they have a later model military jeep? (I know they never used the CJ or civilian jeeps).

I am torn as to whether to restore my 47 to factory stock, or do it up as a "between wars" military jeep ( I have always really wanted a GPW but I got the deal of the century on this 47).

Opinions?

Johan Willaert

I believe the main Jeep used in the KW would have been the WW2 MB/GPW with the M38 perhaps appearing at the very last stages of the KW era...

I agree with Johan, that the MB/GPW were the main jeeps used during the Korean War.

This website indicates the window of service (production?) of the M38 as 1950-52: http://www.kaiserwillys.com/about_willys_jeep_m38_history_specs This website (http://www.m38a1.com/models/models_original.htm) indicates the M38A1 was initially produced in 1952, so it's possible (not sure how likely) they started arriving in Korea before the 1953 Armistice. I recently read the book "So They Will Know" about the spring of 1953, during the Korean War; it has 3 pics of jeeps in it. Two of the pics are MB/GPWs and one is an M38A1. The pics are not dated, so they provide circumstantial evidence,not definitive. You'd likely enjoy the book, given the subject matter, it's a quick read AND it is well-written.

I would recommend restoring your CJ2A as a CJ2A. Then drive it like you stole it!

Steve

• 4 months later...

The military did use CJs I have seen a CJ3 and a CJ3B with Navy plates on the dash. There are too many CJ2s that have been made up to look like GPWs or MBs, but that is like painting a Cessna 150 to look like a Mustang, it only works for hollywood and their followers.

The military did use CJs I have seen a CJ3 and a CJ3B with Navy plates on the dash. There are too many CJ2s that have been made up to look like GPWs or MBs, but that is like painting a Cessna 150 to look like a Mustang, it only works for hollywood and their followers.

Yup...one of my great regrets in life was not buying a completely restored bright-red CJ2A back in about 1990 or so. I think the seller wanted $2200 for it at the time...which seemed to me to be an astronomical sum. They are great civilian jeeps and are best kept as civilian jeeps. There are plenty of old military jeeps out there to restore back to their former glory...leave the civilian ones they way they were meant to be! :)

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

i agree keep it civilian. my mom's uncle had a CJ2A that had been been used by a state forestry for decades before he got it, all he had to do to it was just get new tires for it

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Fireguy,

Do what makes you smile. Johan and GPW 42 are correct MB/GPWs were used as well as the M38 which began production in 1949. Either way the CJ2A or the M38 their pretty close and paint can be change relatively easy, well at least somewhat easy if you know how to paint and do body work. As for making your CJ2A ever a GPW, well its not going to happen. Ford vs Willys, but you can pretend. again do what makes you happy its your jeep, have fun with it.

Best Regards

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

so a newbie giving his 2 cents...restore your 2A the way you want.....Unless you are going for a museum grade resto....a well made over 2A will look great as a MB 2A .....rivet counters be danged....I have a 46 2a .....installed a MB grill, MB windshield, put on grab handles, MB bow assy, and added pioneer kit without using cutouts or moving gas tank....it can be done....in fact look at the pics of the Reading show...can you spot the CJ in the group???not mine but just to show you how good hey can look if done right..the CJ is the 7th pic down...has the C54 in the backround

good luck and enjoy your jeep

How mine turned out....I want to take away the tail gate, I have the one piece back from a donor MB, and obtain a winter top....have a summer top

post-155518-0-37970500-1419192141.jpg

The trouble will come when you try to sell it and any prospective buyer realizes the Jeep is not an original WWII Jeep. Save your money and find a real one if you want a military Jeep, they are not hard to find and you will be much happier with an original

I agree, paint it as a stateside Jeep, I agree the Navy had plenty of them. Frankly, I think it'd look better in a solid real color, with a ruptured duck representing a newly-returned GI's first civilian vehicle!

Too many CJs and M201s pretending to be MBs and GPWs as it is.

FYI, Lloyd White is putting the finishing touches to vol 4 of his Willys MB Jeep books, and it will include chapters on their use well after the war, into Korea, in military service.

Fireguyfire,

As I stated there will always be rivit counters and purists, on either side of the fence. Try telling the folks on the CJ-2A forum you are converting your 2A to a MB (great guys BTW).....Converting an original CJ2A to a MB is no different than taking a MD Juan or similar company's reproduction, overseas made body and slapping it on a MB/GPW frame....The best option is to find an original MB or GPW that was untouched over the decades...a barn find from the Gods...

My point is unless a restoration is done using ALL original 194? parts then that is where the restoration process starts to turn gray. My 2A is all American steel with exceptions of the small accessories...no overseas made frame or body....A 43 MB/GPW with a Phillipine tub is a shade of gray restoration...a 44 MB with a 45 L134 is a shade of gray restoration....it goes on and on

Most folks at the MVPA shows open me with open arms and appriciate the work and detail on the MB2A shown above...

Do want you want to your jeep, keep it a 2a, convert to a MB,or sell/trade for a MB/GPW...for me it is about working with what I had not what I might find...and drive and enjoy your jeep...I raised my son to enjoy the jeep...he loved learning how to drive it....

The only trouble comes IF you TRY to sell it as MB/GPW, enjoy your jeep either way

• 6 months later...
fireguyfire

Reviving this thread with a question. I have sold my cj2a after long deliberation realizing that what I really want is a military jeep, not a CJ.

Problem is up here in Canada the military jeeps are tough to find.

Sooooo, I'm going to ask you fine fellows where a Canuck who want a low level fixer upper true military jeep( I do my own body/paint and mechanical so I like to buy rough vehicles and restore them myself; keeps it cost effective) should be looking?

Does anyone know of such a jeep, or a source for a rough but true military jeep?

I don't live far from the U.S. Border so if I could somehow get it there I could grab it.

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated and I would absolutely put the jeep back in its military glory!

I'm happy you got to that conclusion, a CJ2A is actually not that common.

If you're not a member yet, join the g503.com jeepforum. Everything you always wanted to know about jeeps you can find there. And that includes whole jeeps themselves. ;)

Look for one that is as complete as possible! Bodyrepairs are relatively easy but if half of the original bits are missing it will cost a LOT of money to replace them, even if you use repro parts. I learned that one the hard way, with my early '42 Slatgrill MB that came from Montana.

However, I strongly suggest you start with studying the subject. Spend some time on g503.com and get some books. If you want I'll give you some titles that may come in handy.

fireguyfire

Roger that;I will join the forum.

I know lots about military jeeps and own 3 reference books as well as a restoration book because I had full intentions of buying an MB before the cj2a fell in my lap for a great price.

Do they have listings for military jeeps for sale on g503?

Wondering what the best way will be to source a project jeep.

They have a for sale/wanted section, just like here. Right now there is an ad for a nice runner GPW project in South Oregon, among others. I would check that forum daily, and for the rest I think Craigslist and eBay.

Reprints of the original TM's and Parts Lists are easy to find (sometimes even free download) and you'll need those.

fireguyfire

Thanks for the tips!

I don't have a lot to spend unfortunately, so I will be looking for a rougher project/ barn find kind of jeep.

• 2 weeks later...
fireguyfire

Moderator, please delete.

I am no longer looking as I am the proud new owner of a 1943 MB!

phantomfixer

Moderator, please delete.

I am no longer looking as I am the proud new owner of a 1943 MB!

Can't wait to see it....restored or unrestored or as is...

fireguyfire

Will do; I'm not making the long road trip to grab it until September but when it's home I'll gladly post a bunch of photos

• 2 months later...