E-1 through E-3 stripes, '70s-'90s

sigsaye

Something a bit different, ETSA. Usually didn't see too many of these as the school was so long and most chose to extend for more training and automatic ETS (E-4). This guy seems to have gotten busted and chosen to just wack off the bottom strips.

post-2104-0-84211000-1396386295.jpg

Price tag still on although it has obviously been used. The loose threads are are common and were tucked when sewing on

post-2104-0-42288100-1396386446.jpg

PNSN for white jumper. I think this one was made in a shop in Subic by the way it looks and feels. Note shallow stripes

post-2104-0-22505500-1396386602.jpg

Back for comparrison with PNSN. Pretty sure I got both QM stripes from the same guy, so they were used together as needed

post-2104-0-80578900-1396386863.jpg

SKSN for white jumper. Nothing really exotic or fantastic, but a selection of things used by Sailors at a time of change in the Navy. As with all my stuff, it is for sale.

post-2104-0-31169500-1396386934.jpg

Nice group of group rates. I notice the square cut ones without marks all, or most, have the 30 degree stripes. The newer style have the 45 degree stripes, although some of the ones that look foreign made have 30 degrees too. We covered this earlier in another thread, but I can't shake the idea that 30 degree stripes = older, 45 degrees = newer.

:I have mine from 73 that has angles. It is the difference between Navy issue (shallow) and steep (commercial)

Salvage Sailor

Concur with Steve,

The commercial rates (vanguard, etc) were pitched at a steeper angle and also were thinner material, except for those made in double-knit material.

RustyCanteen

I would have to dig out my notes, but I believe the original issue of the enlisted Coat, Man's Polyester/Wool Summer and Coat, Man's, Wool, Winter (circa 1972-3) were supposed to go to E-1 through E-3 and then E-6. In other words recruits and PO1, with E-4 and E-5 getting them not long afterward. Maybe for that reason (and maybe for no real reason) it seems like the uniforms are harder to find with E-4 stripes on them, E-5 being somewhat more common, and E-6 being the most common aside from E-1 through E-3.

The thickness of the backing material changed with the era. My first commercial made E-3 rate was ASAN. It was a striker mark and stripe combo, the navy did NOT make those at the time. It was for my dress blues and was on the same melton wool as the navy issue, just looked better. The combo patches for whites were the same cotton drill as the regulation patches. It was later on that the big differance came about when the Navy went to the thick fully embroidered patches. The navy eventually ropped them and went back the making the backing material the same as the uniform, and then quickly dreopped the whole thing and went strictly with the commercially produced (Vanguard). But the main point is that they were all used simultainously. The commercially produced patches ahd the steep angles and the Navy produced had the shallow. To say that the Shallower Navy produced were older would be technically correct in that they were in use before the commercially produced ones hit the locker clubs and stores out side the base (where I got mine), but I would think the shallow Navy patches would have won that race by minutes :rolleyes:

Another thing to keep in mind, is that all the E-3 and below that were MADE cut at an angle were commercially made and sold in off base shops. Personally, having worn both, I always preferred the commercially made ones and would get those if I could. I wore both, having a mix of commercial and issue stripes on my uniforms. I tried to keep the cool looking commercial on my dress blues, and would settle for issue on my undress blues. I had four white jumpers and two white shirts, with both mixed on. They also made commercial "Non Designated" stripes, with no striker mark, just stripes. John Stacey notes that he could not find anything in regs about the angle cut stripes. That is because they were not made by the navy. As far as the angle of the stripes goes, until it was mentioned here in this forum, I never noticed, I wore them, looked at them for almost 30 years, collected them for over 50 years and never noticed the difference other than the commercial just "Looked Better". Learn something new every day.

Steve

Couple of other things that cropped up in the '70s and '80s. The top two white marks are for wear by Non Designated Strikers. These are Sailors who graduate from boot camp but do not have any follow on schools. They receive a two week course in the general duties of Deck, Engineering or Aviation (flight Deck) and then are sent to the fleet. These marks were designed to give these Sailors something to wear. I do not have an Aviation mark, but it is a single anchor with wings. These were worn on the left sleeve, and above any group rate marks just like striker marks.

The lower two are Assault Boat Coxwain badges. These were officially dropped in '75, so these were for the "New" Suit and Tie/CPO style uniform from '72-'75.You occassionally saw these types of Distinctive marks being worn in the early '70s, but very few. There was just a lot of pride that went with this one, so it lasted to the end. I had a Bo'sun on an assualt ship have a bunch of these made up in Subic for his Cox'ns in the '80s. He issued them out and his guys wore them. The CO loved it and no one ever said they had to take them off.

post-2104-0-42690500-1397071539.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Couple of other things that cropped up in the '70s and '80s. The top two white marks are for wear by Non Designated Strikers. These are Sailors who graduate from boot camp but do not have any follow on schools. They receive a two week course in the general duties of Deck, Engineering or Aviation (flight Deck) and then are sent to the fleet. These marks were designed to give these Sailors something to wear. I do not have an Aviation mark, but it is a single anchor with wings. These were worn on the left sleeve, and above any group rate marks just like striker marks.

The lower two are Assault Boat Coxwain badges. These were officially dropped in '75, so these were for the "New" Suit and Tie/CPO style uniform from '72-'75.You occassionally saw these types of Distinctive marks being worn in the early '70s, but very few. There was just a lot of pride that went with this one, so it lasted to the end. I had a Bo'sun on an assualt ship have a bunch of these made up in Subic for his Cox'ns in the '80s. He issued them out and his guys wore them. The CO loved it and no one ever said they had to take them off.

Ahoy Steve,

I recall that the two week post boot camp training for Non Designated Strikers was called 'Advanced Training' or something like that. I've seen photos of non-rate Seaman and Fireman wearing those marks, but in my experience I never saw them actually worn in the fleet aboard my junk boats or destroyers.