was the "high & tight" haircut popular in WWII? or before

BOLO

seems like most photos of Marines during WWII show men with regular slicked back hairstyles?

when did the high & tight style become popular? I often see Vietnam era photos with the high & tight

• 5 months later...

Checking the photos you will see that most of the haircuts for the Americans in the conflict where what barbers call a Low fade.

A high and tight, and white walls as we know them nowadays is a fabrication of a sadistic drill sergeant or commanding officer around the late 1950's.

The shorter haircut also goes along with field hygiene and chemical warfare for proper fit of the protective mask.

Though the parade ground spit and polish goes out the window in the field so imagine about a 3 weeks worth of growth onto your previously standard haircut might be the norm.

Check out period films, photos and manuals.

Somewhere between the three you will find what was actually done, and what is right for you.

• 2 months later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Recruits had their hair shaved around the ears and back of the head during WW2, but not much on top. Once in thei units you see longer hair cuts.

Rock

I'm looking at pictures of my uncle and friends on Iwo with normal hair cuts. My Dads pictures of Korea state side marines also show normal haircuts ie not high and tight

• 3 weeks later...

The military demanded the high and tight haircut during Vietnam to make grooming and cleaning easier when in the field.

The haircut is also referred to as a "Prussian Haircut" and was typical of those soldiers going way back before the 50s or even WWI. Why? Think lice...