vinyl sweatband

jackconaway

jackconaway

i have a vinyl sweatband and i was wondering of there is anything special i need to do?, other than not touch it?

RustyCanteen

Well, not letting Styrofoam anywhere near it would be a good thing to consider.

Vinyl and styrofoam can react and cause the foam to melt where it is in direct contact. I have had vinyl sweatbands stick after only a short time on a styrofoam head, and a good friend of mine also had that problem with a beret.

Vinyl sweatbands cannot be preserved in any other way than the common sense approach RC already mentioned and also keeping it out of extreme temperatures and sunlight.

• 1 month later...

I've been planning on painting some styrofoam heads, and I wonder if that will solve the problem of the styrofoam reacting with vinyl. What do you guys think?

peterson45

I would think that over time the paint would transfer onto the vinyl, why not try to cover the styrofoam in something neutral like muslin? It's cheap and very friendly with older items.

I agree there is no way to preserve or save a vinyl sweatband. Once they start to go they just go is that a good. As far as painting styrofoam often there can be a chemical reaction between the paint and the styrofoam itself I have seen the paint soften or melt styrofoam at times. One alternative for styrofoam heads I have seen people use a nylon or cotton socks over the styrofoam head company. I have also seen people use Muslim or linen as well to use as a barrier between the phone and the object being displayed. Nylon stockings i.e. (pantyhose) may not be a long term solution either

Someone elsewhere on USMF recommended using a water-based emulsion paint. Don't know if that's from experience, though.