Can anyone explain......

doyler

...Why this blade marked and dated Camillus with out scabbard is at $700 (first bid)??Its being sold in France.

Its a standard blade marked and dated with double pin top.Its not even mint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Rare-model-WWll-US-M3-CAMILLUS-1943-dated-FIGHTING-KNIFE-/351033116737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bb344841#ht_481wt_901

post-342-0-22441800-1396334835.jpg

I've noticed Ron that items on ebay out of Europe ane being listed at very high prices. Some for double of prices here. With the outragous shipping costs I don't take a second look. I used to buy quite a few items out of Greece but not any more. It's got to be killing those dealers over there. Robert

The seller also has a Utica blade dated for sale at $350 - why the big difference between the 2?

I know Utica made more then Camillus but twice the cost :dry:

yes - agree $700 is way to much without the scabbard.

I've seen a few dealers on ebay with the one bid, always makes me wonder :o

What is it that makes you suspicious?

I mention in another thread that I always offer to ship knives/bayos to European buyers for the best price. Frequently that is France. Japan too. And as one can always lower the price, I usually offer a buy it now at an extreme price, to catch the spur of the moment or well heeled buyer. Spending $700 is easier for some people than others.

Ron- Nice Camillus, w/ a Moose M6!!!!!! I can't explain pricing. There's a MK2 Kabar on ebay now, well used red spacer, 2nd model w/ a Buy Now price of $2500. Item #231185012568. To me that's like 10 times more than it's worth. I believe people are just throw out a line to see if they can hook someone. SKIP

Thanks for all the replies gentleman. It just appeared to me that the price was fairly steep for a knife that was fairly common or available on the market in better condition for usually less money.I thought maybe I was missing something. Thanks again

Thanks for all the replies gentleman. It just appeared to me that the price was fairly steep for a knife that was fairly common or available on the market in better condition for usually less money.I thought maybe I was missing something. Thanks again

Sometimes the European collectors will pay out the nose for some items..

have you seen how much they will pay for a plain fixed-loop helmet?

Also, some countries can only receive shipments of blades from within Europe.. so perhaps the bidder is in one of those countries and this may be his only chance to find this exact blade with the legality to ship to his country?

-Brian

What is it that makes you suspicious?

I mention in another thread that I always offer to ship knives/bayos to European buyers for the best price. Frequently that is France. Japan too. And as one can always lower the price, I usually offer a buy it now at an extreme price, to catch the spur of the moment or well heeled buyer. Spending $700 is easier for some people than others.

Hi KnifeDog

Just pointing out, that I've noticed some dealers, do have a one bid, soon has they put their item up for auction, I question from who?. Not saying that all dealers do this mind.

Welshman

Im sure its just the camera angle or something but on my screen it looks like youre M3 is dated 1942 doyler .

Noticed that.I have been meaning to double check it as I have owned it since the late 70s.

;):lol:

Ron, nice rig. I didn't think that M3 looked too bad... And I don't know that I'd say blade dated m3 is very common, but I can remember a couple years ago these were pushing close to $2000, assuming I remember correctly. Lol.

I guess some things are a surprise, like that SAIW scabbard we were watching, I think Damcon said it best when asking where the buyers were when selling his stuff. Definitely feel the pain there.

I did a double take on the date too, it looks like '42 at first but if you enlarge it it is '43.

Definately 43.

I still see the guy at shows I bought this knife from and he always brings up the "knife" he sold me.Great guy and we will talk about his Viet Nam days.

Ron, nice rig. I didn't think that M3 looked too bad... And I don't know that I'd say blade dated m3 is very common, but I can remember a couple years ago these were pushing close to $2000, assuming I remember correctly. Lol.

Not a bad example at all but there is some rusting in spotts that looks like it took hold.Im just thinking that Camillius is a more common or available maker in the realm of dated M3s compared to Case,Boker,ACC etc and more surprised at the price as there isnt a sheath and I dont follow them closely on ebay but for that kinda jack I think you can fin one with a scabbard.

I agree there have been some that brought good money in the past.I do recall one of the Camillius with a M6 a couple of years ago that went for over $1100.00 It was nicer than mine in my opinion.Pretty minty.looked right out of the crate.

I saw a half dozen plus in various condition two weeks ago at a show.All with M6 scabbards.They were in the $550-$675 range.The seller has had them for the last 4-5 years and I dont even look at them.He hasnt sold a one.