Disassembling Bolo knife sheath?

gatetraveller

gatetraveller

Does anyone know how to disassemble a 1910/1917 leather & canvas Bolo knife sheath?

I found a website that sells period replacement sheath covers and was wondering how to go about disassembling the sheath that I have to replace the cover?

Also does anyone know what type of metal the lattice work under the cover is? I can feel that there is a metal framework under there.

I was hoping that it isn't something that can rust. I'd hate to put the knife back in there if there is active rust inside the sheath.

Thank you for any help!

If its the scabbard Im thinking of the canvas cover with leather tip just slides off.The scabbard is basically a wooden housing covered in rawhide then the metal throat is attached at the top

RustyCanteen

As Doyer said it sounds like you have the wooden scabbard that is covered with rawhide. The 'lattice work' you feel is probably running in a straight line on the back? That is the seam where the rawhide is stitched together. If it is the 1917 scabbard the throat of the scabbard is brass, if it has a multi-piece construction throat (does the opening have what looks like an insert in it?) then it is an earlier M1910 scabbard which did have steel. The major problem with replacing the canvas & leather cover on the scabbard is that after 97 years the canvas has shrunk and the leather tip is typically a little stiff. So there is potential to damage a cover if it has shrunk too much or the leather has dried out too much.

RC