Early G-1 Flight Jacket Contact?

TheGermanCollector

TheGermanCollector

I was wondering if anyone has seen a G-1 contact like this 419578 never seen this contact number. Any one familiar with this or were it dates?

post-11638-0-64189400-1396292810.jpg

TheGermanCollector

This one interests me that's what I'm thinking too because that label. As USN is not stamped into the leather like others I've seen but I think all early G-1's have no stamp. Here's a picture of the jacket. I know early G-1 cont dates started 55j14 and had commar zippers.

post-11638-0-04774800-1396461792.jpg

post-11638-0-43603900-1396461796.jpg

post-11638-0-21913500-1396461802.jpg

The collar coloring should be more rusty looking IMO. I have put the question forth to my "experts" and will get back to you on this one.

I'm also thinking it's a civilian contract though.

TheGermanCollector

That was my impression as well. All the early G-1s I've seen have the lighter brown mutton fur collar.

This has definately been identified as a civilian contract jacket by the helpful members of Vintage Leather Jacket forum. It could have been a private purchase jacket that the original owner put the patches on, but at this point, I wouldn't trust its validity.

I agree with the comments made above. It's a genuine contractor, for sure. They also made A2s for the AAF during WW2, but this example is quite likely an "over-production" one made to military spec but for commercial re-sale...much as Alpha and Cooper do with their jackets. Probably privately procured by the aviator?