Did the Navy issued its own red cross brassards prior to WW I?

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I'm trying to figure out if the U.S. Navy had or issued a Red Cross Brassard to Navy Corpsmen, and or medical personnel whenever they were attached to a shore party or a Marine Expeditionary Force prior to WW I? If so were Navy issued brassards similar to, or of the same pattern as those that were issued by the Army?

I ask this because of the following photo I downloaded from elsewhere on the forum. The photo is said to be of a Navy shore party at Vera Cruz, Mexico in 1914. Which I believe to be correct. The sailor at far left, carrying a stretcher is presumably a Corpsman. Does anybody know if he is wearing a red cross brassard on his right sleeve or is this some other form of Navy insignia?

If it does turn out to be a red cross brassard, does anyone know if it is Navy issued? It's noticeable narrower that Army style red cross brassards. The arms of the red cross are also both longer and much thinner than Army examples from the same period.

I am preparing a post on WW I Brassards, and seeking any information regarding the regulations concerning wearing red cross brassards in the U.S. Navy (or USMC) prior to and during WWI. In addition any information as to whether or not the Navy or USMC issued their own red cross brassards would really help me out. Even the smallest bit of information or even educated guesses would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any assistance,

WWI nerd

post-5143-0-37696100-1396252297.jpg

world war I nerd

If nobody has any hard evidence, I'd really be interested in hearing opinions as to what the sailor in question is wearing on his right sleeve... rate, brassard, something else??? Just for the record, according to Navy regs. the right sleeve is the correct sleeve on which to wear a brassard ... Please help. Thanks

I know of no other insignia like that from the WW1 period, so given that he is wearing a very unique brassard and he's leaning on a stretcher would be indicative to me that he's wearing a red cross armband...

world war I nerd

Thank you gentlemen,

I really appreciate the input. I too think it's a red cross brassard, your second and third opinions really help.

Thanks again.

Brian

I believe a brassard i have in my collection is very similar to the one in your pic. It's a bit narrow compared to my WWII example and the cross, from what i can tell, has the same longer, narrower arms. I will post a pic tonight. Other folks I have shown it to have speculated it was WWI era but British in origin, but maybe it's US issue after all.

-Jay

world war I nerd

Thanks Jay,

I'd really appreciate it if you could post a photo. I have a number of photos of WW I British Medical Service Brassards that I can post for comparison. However none of them have narrow arms like the one shown in the above photo.

I'm beginning to wonder if that brassard was fabricated on board the ship from which the landing party hailed. Any thoughts?

Here's a photo that came to me today by way of Trenchrat. It depicts a Hospital Steward and two Corpsmen circa 1905. As you can see the Steward's brassard is completely different from the one worn in 1914.

post-5143-0-16314500-1396533802.jpg

Thanks Jay,

I'd really appreciate it if you could post a photo. I have a number of photos of WW I British Medical Service Brassards that I can post for comparison. However none of them have narrow arms like the one shown in the above photo.

I'm beginning to wonder if that brassard was fabricated on board the ship from which the landing party hailed. Any thoughts?

Here's a photo that came to me today by way of Trenchrat. It depicts a Hospital Steward and two Corpsmen circa 1905. As you can see the Steward's brassard is completely different from the one worn in 1914.

Thats a great pic. I wish I could see the bag the Chief is carrying better.

world war I nerd

I was wondering about the bag as well.

It looks like the Corpsman in the center may have a similar bag slung from the opposite shoulder.

I've also been trying to work out what the long sling hanging from the right shoulder of the Sailor wearing the brassard might be.

It's a shame the photo is so dark.

I'm not sure what the stretcher barer's bag is but I bet the CPO and the other pharmacist mate are carrying an early version of the hospital corps pouch with the leather straps on the flap.

Here are my brassards.

post-2035-0-63869500-1396559328.jpg

post-2035-0-78812400-1396559357.jpg

world war I nerd

Jay,

Thanks for posting your brassards. Are all of these Navy issued and WW I era?

Also you could be right about the Hospital Corps Pouch, I forgot all about those.

Here's a shot of a WW I British Medical Service Brassard. These were worn by all British personnel associated with the RAMC (Royal Army Medical Corps). I also suspect that these were worn by Doughboys during the war, especially those who were seconded to the II Corps.

post-5143-0-22646700-1396690594.jpg

The two left brassards are WWII issue, one is marked with an Army serial number. The navy corpsman would have been issued the same brassards as the Army medic during WWII.

The top right brassard I am told is WWI US issue, again for both the army and the navy. I would suspect British brassards were used in the field more often than not.

The lower right brassard is the one that I am not entirely sure of it's origins. I think it's WWI era, the buttons make me think its british. It has no markings. It may be for nurses?

-Jay

Very interesting topic! I tried to find on-line pre-WWI landing force manuals, but had little luck. The following excerpts concerning the wearing of brassards are from 1917 and 1918 dated manuals but refer back to the 1913 edition of the Landing Force Manual. Not definitive proof, but it is a good place to start. Now if anyone has a copy of the 1913 Landing Force handbook, we may get better info. I'll see if I can find an older reference when I get homw tonight.

post-203-0-88436800-1396894323.jpg

post-203-0-83586900-1396894340.jpg

Ok, I found a 1916 reference:

The Landing-force and Small-arm Instructions, United States Navy, 1916

9. During an engagement, in order to reduce the number of ineffective men to a minimum, the pioneers, messmen, signalmen, servants, and others who are not actually engaged in their own legitimate duties shall be employed to re-inforce the stretchermen, or ammunition-passers, as the case may be. They should recover the arms and ammunition of disabled men, and perform such other duties as the bt. c. may direct. Those who assist the stretchermen should remove their arms and wear the red cross.

world war I nerd

Beast,

Outstanding work. Thanks so much.

That's really interesting that the Navy regulations called for a "brassard on each arm for each arm". I never would have guessed that they wore two Red Cross brassards.

The research also clears up what bags were being carried by the Navy Corpsmen in Vera Cruz photo.

Here's a lousy photo of a Spanish American War, probably from Cuba, of a Army surgeon and Hospital Corpsmen or stretcher bearer. Note that the Red Cross Brassard is similar to the one worn by the Navy Corpsman circa 1905 posted above.

Does anybody have any opinions whether the Army and Navy issued separate/different or the same Red Cross brassards?

Thanks again to everybody for their help.

Brian

post-5143-0-20699900-1396927556.jpg