B17 Suzy Q

craig_pickrall

'Suzy-Q' was a B-17E, serial number 41-2489, from the 93rd BS, 19th BG. In the early years of the war 'The Swoose' was the only B-17 better known to the US public than this one.

Here's a shot of her while in Australia...

Suzy-Q004b.jpg

From Flying Fortress - The Boeing B-17 by Ernest R. McDowell

And here's 'Suzy-Q's rather optimistic scoreboard with 26 meatballs indicating gunners' claims of enemy aircraft shot down. There are also four question marks which possibly indicate probables or damaged aircraft.

Suzy-Q005b.jpg

From Flying Fortress - The Boeing B-17 by Ernest R. McDowell

The image of 'Suzy-Q's nose in that LIFE rag seems to have been censored to remove the 93rd BS insignia which is shown here...

Suzy-Q001a.jpg

Project 914 Archives

Either it was censored or the emblem was over-painted, although the latter is unlikely because there are photos of 'Suzy-Q' taken after her return to the States which show the emblem.

Thanks for posting these scans from LIFE!

Fade to Black...

• 5 months later...
Guest seanwales

My Grandpa Francis Moran was a gunner on this plane. He was stationed in Port Moresby. He's still around at 90 years old. I purchased him a ride at the EAA to ride the Airventure B17 at the end of July. I hope to get some good pics with him and the airplane.

• 1 year later...
Johnny Signor

that first photo must have been before she had the 93rd Indian head unit insignia painted on the nose, I've seen a photo of it after the art was added, cool to see the before one too!!!! Thanks for posting it!!!!