Avn Ordnance unit CBI?

vintageproductions

Patchcollector

I'll venture a guess.I've seen winged bombs for bomber squadrons.Perhaps a fighter squadron?

Johnny Signor

I have seen this one on the nose of an early P-51B/C model mustang ,actually two of them, but have yet to pin it down as to what unit , yours is the first I've seen with a name on it ...........................

Johnny Signor

The post above should read A-36 , not P-51B/C my goof ,I have a color image done by an artist of an A-36 with this emblem on the lower nose cowling , also saw photo of it and another in an issue of Air Classics some time ago , both had the same emblem , but have yet to nail down "specific" unit .............................

Johnny Signor

If someone of the forum will PM me their E mail address I'll send them the image I have of the A-36 with the emblem on the aircraft and a larger of the emblem itself ....

Johnny

Johnny Signor

Was on Facebook earlier and under the page "Civil Air Patrol History" and quite a ways into the pages there's a small booklet of matchbook cover , not sure what , but it has the "winged Bullet" emblem in top center of this posting , just like the image you posted , but in just a line drawing form , you may want to check it out, but I think this is where the emblem originated from .......................

Johnny

Johnny Signor

Did anyone go to the Facebook page and check this one ??????/ It is there .....................................

I asked the man about it but he has no info as to what it is though, Drat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it does appear to be CAP related in some form .......................

Can anyone make out what the "Name" is on the patch , that may help if we can find a roster for CAP people during WW2 to narrow down the unit,area etc ..........................

If someone of the forum will PM me their E mail address I'll send them the image I have of the A-36 with the emblem on the aircraft and a larger of the emblem itself ....

Johnny

Pm sent

post-715-0-82711500-1396810291.jpgI have an image of one that was on ebay several years ago and was supposed to have belonged to a member of the 709th Bomb Squadron of the 447th Bomb Group

Johnny Signor

yeah , I've seen that one too, but it's odd that it would be a Bombardment Squadron seeing as I've seen It on two A-36 Apache Fighter/Bomber aircraft ,not saying it isn't this one , but have yet to find positive proof of it being the 709th ....................

Johnny Signor

Come on guys , no one has any leads on this ?????????????????

You guys usually blow me away with quick responses, I'd really like to get this one finally ID'd and into the proper category ......................

Patchcollector

The drawing of the plane that Austin R posted has a tail number.Assuming it's real could'nt a unit be traced that way?

Johnny Signor

Yeah , but so far I've come up blank, not knowing what the unit is makes if hard to trace , I'm hoping the "serial number" Gurus of the forum may be able to help with that and the info I found about the "emblem" being shown on the C.A.P. brochure .......................

vintageproductions

On some modeler type websites they list the info as:

“Dorothy Helen,” serial #42-83901, flown by John ‘Jeep’ Crowder of the 524th squadron, 27th FBG. The aircraft carries a red spinner and yellow ID bands, as well as a patch of what may be chromate yellow over the serial number on the port side.