Neat Civil War Corps Badge Cross Medal? Estate Sale Find this weekend

i got this from a buddy of mine that picked it up at a estate sale, the cross is all hand engraved, i think its silver, i believe its the original blue ribbon which sems very cool, anybidy ever seen one before? Thanks for any help i can get!

post-9905-0-90652700-1396205834.jpg

Very nice badge! This is the badge for the 19th Army Corps. Rather than a wartime badge, this is actually a veterans corps badge, commemorating his service in the 19th Army Corps.

After a cursory search, the 19th Corps turned up two regiments with the number "7".

The 7th United States Colored Troops,

7th Illinois Cavalry.

I am not sure what the other letters on the arms of the cross signify. The "A" is likely the company that he served in.

WOW Thanks so much for your help Patriot! You are then man. I figured i had to take a chance on it, there was a GAR medal with it at the sale but they wanted 100 for it , my friend didnt want to pay that much for a GAR medal.To bad its not named!

Thanks to all for the positive comments!

After visiting this thread for a second time, I am going to take back what I said. I wasn't looking closely enough at the badge, and I missed one very important detail - a detail that completely changes the story of the badge!

You will notice that there is a circle at the center of the cross. When looking at it this morning, it occurred to me that what you have is a veterans badge that represents a soldier's service in both the 1st Army Corps, as well as the 5th! The 1st Corps was essentially destroyed at the Battle of Gettysburg, and the remnants of this corps were transferred to the 5th Corps. This badge very clearly reflects that heritage.

With that being said, there are are two units that served in the 1st Corps that had the regimental designation of "7". The most important was the 7th Wisconsin, of the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, of the 1st Corps. You will better know this brigade as the famed IRON BRIGADE!

The 1st Corps also had the 7th Indiana, who was with the Second Brigade, 1st Division, of the 1st Corps.

It's safe to say that the soldier who owned this badge was a veteran of many of the earlier battles that the Army of the Potomac participated in, and had served right up through Gettysburg.

The question now is whether or not he was with the Iron Brigade. At this point, it is a 50-50 chance. If so, you have a remarkable badge!

Three of the letters on the badge may be the original owner - and if that is the case, placing a name with the badge should be pretty easy.

And finally - the last campaign that the 1st Corps participated in before it was merged with the 5th Corps was the Mine Run Campaign, which was in the Fall of 1863. The Third Division of that corps saw the addition of the 7th Maryland Infantry, which was used to bolster their heavily depleted ranks.

Great badge

I have heard that often coins were used to make these badges from.Is this correct ?

I have a shield shaped badge from one of the Iwa units.Looks to be silver as well.

Thanks

Doyler,

Yes, wartime badges were sometimes made from coins. They would polish one side flat, cut it into its desired shape, and add embellishments. There are a few examples here on the forum.

Care must be used when judging the age of these badges. Aside from fakes, many corps badges are post-war veteran pieces. The example pictured here is a post-war veteran's badge, which were available for purchase through catalog, as well as at some of the larger reunions.