WW2 Two Tone Net with scrim

Hi all

I picked this net up this week. It is a two tone Net with scrim that came from a WW2 us Vets estate. What do you think? Looks kinda kool and has that been there done that look. It is somewhat fragile, and has holes in each side for the chinstraps to pass through..

Charlie

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/cerick1450/media/net001_zps41d9729a.jpg.html]net001_zps41d9729a.jpg

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/cerick1450/media/net002_zps568bc3d3.jpg.html]net002_zps568bc3d3.jpg

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/cerick1450/media/net007_zps490de13e.jpg.html]net007_zps490de13e.jpg

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/cerick1450/media/net010_zps2d67ee14.jpg.html]net010_zps2d67ee14.jpg

Corpsman_1941

Only two tone camo net i know is Canadian net and helmet looks awesone :rolleyes:

Really great helmet. And Corpsman is right its a Canadian net. This sucker has some nice age and a nice look to it, specially the scrim. Congrats.

-j

Thanks for the comments. Would this type of net/Camo be used in the Pacific Theater?

Also

Here are a few more pictures of the helmet. I think it is a Schlueter, but I cannot see any markings. I have included a picture of the welds for your reference.

Thanks

Charlie

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/cerick1450/media/helmetnet009_zps54e0ea8f.jpg.html]helmetnet009_zps54e0ea8f.jpg

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/cerick1450/media/helmetnet012_zpsc8528050.jpg.html]helmetnet012_zpsc8528050.jpg

At the very end of one of the WWII in HD episodes there is some video of a solider in the PTO wearing one of these. Its either the 2nd or 3rd episode. I'lll see if I can get a still.

Burning Hazard

Nice net, it looks like the original owner stretched the helluva it. I have an unissued two tone net and it's still very thight; probably would not fit an M1 helmet unless you wet/stretch it, which I don't intend to :)

I just keep wondering about this helmet though, was the veteran Canadian by chance? The inside has the typical magic marker ID that the Canadian Forces put in after the war. I know some lend-lease M1 helmets were used by Canadian soldiers in the Korean War which consisted of two-tone nets and scrim like yours.

To the best on my knowledge this was from a US Vet. I have a couple of two tone weaved Canadian nets that are also tight on a US M1. This is a tied, or knotted two tone, so maybe that is the difference. It fits very easy over the helmet with plenty to spare. It even has openings for the chinstraps..

Charlie

I have watched the WWII in HD episodes and cannot see the video of the PTO soldier wearing this type of net/scrim. Anyone happen to have a still or can send me to the right section of the video?

Thanks

Charlie

I found it. It is almost before the credits on Episode #3. It shows a soldier walking past the camera with a two tone net on his M1. I could not get a screen shot, but it is definitely two tone.. Thanks jkash23686...

Thanks

Charlie

strawberry 9

I've seen color footage of officers wearing the two tone net. Maybe away of distinguishing them as officers without tipping off the Japanese.

Nice camo scrim cover Charlie! Not to hijack your thread, but here's one I've had since I was a kid, given to me by one of my Uncles who was in the Canadian Army. It looks like the same kind if scrim material, almost a canvas instead of the usual burlap you see mostly.

Rick

post-9167-0-44499200-1396787580.jpg

post-9167-0-58091800-1396787589.jpg

...and 2 more photos...of course mine is somewhat more sparse than yours....you could almost call it camo-pattern baldness :)

post-9167-0-42012100-1396787754.jpg

post-9167-0-08470400-1396787764.jpg

I'm not sure how widespread the use of the two tone net was with U.S. troops. I would have sworn I had scanned photos of them in use with some 3rd Infantry Division guys in the MTO, but now I can't find the pics... In black & white photos, lighting/shadows & the effects of a camo painted pattern on the pot underneath a one color net can be misleading. However, here is one American who definitely used the two tone Canadian net - Marine Corps General Holland "Howlin' Mad" Smith. Photos show him with this net in the Aleutians, Guam & Iwo Jima. In any event, the Canadian pattern is less common & definitely desirable.

post-2064-0-08007200-1396795716.jpg

post-2064-0-30418900-1396795831.jpg

Thank you for the photo update. I would love to see the photo in the MTO. If you come across them, please let me know.

Thanks

charlie

I'm curious how long scrim was used. I know it appears often in the ETO from D-Day and afterwords, but seems to disappear from photos fairly soon as the summer wore on.

I put a faded two tone net on an early fixed loop Schlueter, but I can't claim to have seen one like this outside of the well known helmet of Howlin Mad Smith

[TwoTone_zpsf8a7c62c.jpg

Re. Two tone pics. I think this is one of the ones I had in mind. The original print was small & I thought I was seeing at least one Canadian net, but this enlarged & brightened version suggests otherwise. If someone else has pics of this style net in use by GIs I'd love to see them.

post-2064-0-02062000-1396853687.jpg

Re scrim - This is one of the latest pics I've seen that shows scrim in use. This is Nov. 17, 1944 somewhere in Germany.

post-2064-0-60067900-1396853869.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Great looking net. Did you find it as just the net, or was the net and helmet found together? The way I took your opening post was you found just the net, but as I read through the comments it sounds more like the two were found together this way. A really great look either way.

Troy