F-4 Phantom 50th Anniversary

Steindaddie

Phantom on a stick at the Duluth, Minnesota International Airport. I believe that the unit is the 148th Tactical Fighter Squadron. I know at least one retired member of that unit here on the Forum, maybe he has pics of their F-4 days in Duluth? I think when the F-4's were in Duluth, there may have actually been an active Air Force unit there, an Interceptor Squadron perhaps, from the earlier Cold War days. Anyone?

post-440-0-37337500-1390178649.jpg

I have not been there in probably 10 years, but the Minnesota Air Guard Museum at the Minneapolis St Paul International Air Force, on their side of the facility, used to have a GREAT museum there. Lots of old aircraft, well cared for, well displayed. They used to have open cockpit weekends there, pretty cool stuff! They have two F-4's there. The next batch of pics will be from there.

post-440-0-28524100-1390178819.jpg

The man in the flight gear was a museum volunteer, I recall speaking to him, I cannot recall how many missions he flew in the F-4 in Vietnam but it was enough to at the time make me think DAMN when I spoke to him. He was supervising the open cockpit thing on that aircraft and answering questions.

post-440-0-84608800-1390179851.jpg

The pointy shooty stuff. I always liked those promo pictures where they would lay out a sample of all the ordnance aircraft would carry. Always an impressive sight!

post-440-0-70280500-1390180526.jpg