Old Iron Wing ?

doughboy

Hi,

has anyone of you ever seen this patch and what is it exactly.Is it a pocket patch ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

doughboy

post-15200-0-79959600-1396033438.jpg

firefighter

I think it was used durn the 60's/70's era.It's for the Aviation section of the 1st Armored Division.Yours looks German made.

I think it was used durn the 60's/70's era.It's for the Aviation section of the 1st Armored Division.Yours looks German made.

A thinking more of a 50s thing? by the late 60s early 70s the 1st Armored Division had a full Aviation Battalion the 501st Avn Bn, could this be a patch from the early 60s? when the 501st Was an Avn Co with the 1st Armd Div, or earlier when the 1st Armd Div had only an Avn Det?

As PJ says, Japanese made. Notice how the embroidery goes in different directions? Notice how each letter is a little different? Notice the size of the lettering in the word "Old" vs. "Ironwings?" A lot to remember, I know. You will not find that on a period German made patch.

Patchcollector

As PJ says, Japanese made. Notice how the embroidery goes in different directions? Notice how each letter is a little different? Notice the size of the lettering in the word "Old" vs. "Ironwings?" A lot to remember, I know. You will not find that on a period German made patch.

Not sure about the one here,I was describing mine

Not sure about the one here,I was describing mine

Can you post an image of your German made patch...I've never seen one.

Patchcollector

Can you post an image of your German made patch...I've never seen one.

Sure.I'll have to dig it out.May take a few days,but I'll post some scans of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Patchcollector

I found mine so here are some scans.Comparing it to the one here it looks like mine may be Asian made too,but probably not Japanese as mine lacks the nice detail of the one posted here.

post-13386-0-15999700-1396839990.jpg

Since the 1st AD didn't even get to Germany until 1971 (it was at Ft. Hood from 1951, having been reactivated in 1951 by the inactivation of various Constabulary units) the patches would not look like those made in the 50s.

So far, we have seen two Asian made copies of what? Letterhead? A unit sign? A decal? A hallucination?

The latest Iron wings patch shown appears to be made in Taiwan. Probably a copy of the Japanese-made version shown at the beginning.

PatchJohnson

Proud Kraut

I'm sure you have already googled and found this one here (scroll down to the last third):

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.johnnyg.westhost.com%2Fflu124-iron-wings-s.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.johnnyg.westhost.com%2Fus-patches-2.html&h=480&w=640&tbnid=AHUhOGPILUpuzM%3A&zoom=1&docid=ZQfl7zHPkeAhxM&hl=de&ei=jgxDU7vJLsiItQby3YHABw&tbm=isch&iact=rc&dur=1992&page=1&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=0CFsQrQMwAQ

I think 2nd Armor Div Avn unit wore "Hell on Wings" DUIs and pocket patches in Germany in the 1950's. Any "SpearWings" out there as well?

I think 2nd Armor Div Avn unit wore "Hell on Wings" DUIs and pocket patches in Germany in the 1950's....

Do you mean this one?

post-1963-0-94917000-1396920415.jpg

post-1963-0-27539300-1396920426.jpg

Source: Forum member Siamundo, posted in a currently blocked thread.

Source: Forum member Siamundo, posted in a currently blocked thread.

And here is that thread, unblocked: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23047-2nd-armored-division-hell-on-wings-aviaition-di/

Thanks Proud Kraut for showing us the way and uber thanks CaptCav for your words of wisdom...

post-1963-0-86926100-1396922026.jpg