Help with CIB manufacturer codes

rd12

I have four CIBs with codes that I am unsure of and have so far been unable to find out with certainty who made them.

Any help would be appreciated.

GI UT ( Urschel Tool Co. ? )

EPGI ( Ed Pereia, Inc. ? )

FIGI

G-GI

Thanks!

I don't believe they are either sterling or 1/20 fil. The only markings on the back are the codes.

Yes if they were they'd be hallmarked as such, sounds like post 60s made one's? Perhaps member MFT3 can help he wrote a book on the CIB.

post-16479-1345237952.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

MTF produced a geat book for anyone collecting or selling CIBs and has a lot of real neat history about the badge.

John

I have a well-used copy of Mike's great book.

As I understand for US badges in general ( from online articles and Mike's book ), in the early 1950's, two digit codes were used ( ex. 1V ). These were replaced in the early 1960's with a three digit code ( ex. V-21 ) along with the letters " GI ". At some point the GI was dropped.

There are badges from the 1960's - 70's that use the "GI" but not a code, opting to use a name instead. ( ex. KREW GI , ANTAYA GI, or EH SIMON GI )

I think the four badges back at the top fall under this category but am stumped on what companies were using the letters; GI UT, EPGI, FIGI, G-GI

I reached out to Mike Tucker and he informed me that the badges in question are all post-1975 manufacture ( hence the reason they are not covered in his book ). When I find manufacturers that use these code I will be sure to post here. In the meantime, maybe somebody will come along who already knows....

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted The Institute of Heraldry looking for information on the codes above. I received some good information, but unfortunately not exactly what I was looking for.

" The attached list is for current manufactures Hallmarks that may produce the CIB. The Hallmark of GI is used by the Defense Supply System. So the codes you referenced were all produced for the Supply System. GI stands for Government Issue, the other letters indicate the company, which we do not track. The list I provided are the Hallmarks that would appear on CIB's that are sold commercially. "

Here is the list they provided.

post-122639-0-53867800-1398185065.jpg

I recently saw a Combat Action Badge on eBay that was mounted on original card - the card listed the maker as Urschel Tool Co. and the seller stated that the badge was marked GI UT on the back. So I think that confirms;

GI UT Urschel Tool Co.

I saw an older post on this forum that says G GI is Graco Awards, Inc.

So, still looking for help with FIGI & EPGI

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My unknown CIB hallmark list is down to three; EPGI, FIGI, and SMGI, though I now have some possibilities.

Still looking for a confirmation from anyone who may have found better information. Thanks!

EPGI - Ed Piera, Inc or EP Industries, Inc ??

FIGI - Foremost Insignia ??

SMGI - Sherman Manufacturing ??

Thanks

• 7 months later...
easterneagle87

Just found the reference to this book. I got a Barnes N Noble gift card for Christmas and am going to see if they carry it or can order it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found the reference to this book. I got a Barnes N Noble gift card for Christmas and am going to see if they carry it or can order it.

Mike also sells his book, signed, on ebay for I think $25. Its a great book and I've gotten a lot of use out of it.