Oval ID Please

flashesandovals

RustyCanteen

For some reason I cannot use photobucket img links anymore...

When you enter the url (link address) into the image uploader use the Photobucket link given as 'Direct'. It is the second option below 'Email & IM' on the Photobucket link.

An easy alternative is to upload it directly to USMF.

Not an expert but these have been identified by others in the past as 1st Cavalry (Airmobile) ovals that were supposedly worn by their 11th Pathfinder Company. They look German made.

Since there seems to be a 1st Cav Div connection, would the unit actually be the 11th Aviation Group rather than the 11th Aviation Battalion? The 11th Avn Grp was a Higher Command Organization the controlled Air for the 1st Cav Div, and Avn Grps did have Pathfinders. The 11th Avn Bn was formed from some elements of the Benning Based 11th Air Assault Division (Test) in 1965, but was not a part of the Cav once in the RVN, but was a MACV controlled unit that later fell under the 1st Aviation Brigade in May 1966.

flashesandovals

When you enter the url (link address) into the image uploader use the Photobucket link given as 'Direct'. It is the second option below 'Email & IM' on the Photobucket link.

An easy alternative is to upload it directly to USMF.

Thank you. I will try that the next time.

flashesandovals

Not an expert but these have been identified by others in the past as 1st Cavalry (Airmobile) ovals that were supposedly worn by their 11th Pathfinder Company. They look German made.

They do look German made. The 11th Avn Gp (later Brigade and then Regiment) was stationed in Germany, however not until after the Vietnam War. Also, by that time the wings were no longer embroidered on the ovals. That appears to be a typical mid-50's / early 60's thing, mostly with 11TH ABN DIV and later 24TH ID and 8TH ID ABN units.

Thank you for your help!

Just found a website that indicates that there was an 11th Pathfinder Detachment with the 11TH ABN DIV.

Maybe that's it?

http://nationalpathfinderassociation.com/units.html

In support of your statement above I have attached a "think sheet" which shows the ovals in question as being worn by members of the 11th Abn Div aviation section just prior to turning over Airborne duties to the 24th Inf Div.

I have found no indications that the oval was worn by elements of the 24th or later 8th Inf Div. troops, but who knows?

post-28488-0-38602100-1396017873.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry ,just read this. 58th Signal Company-82nd ABN also may have worn this oval in Viet Nam for a short time. I own a Nam made example with an embroidered chute.-Jim