5" Air Corps Knives

dustin

For balance, here is another Case hunting knife, ETO. The pommel and sheath are the give aways. 

I've been noting the handle retaining strap are high ad low when observing images. All have the dagger pointed sheaths.  

2104343657_5inchcase(3)c.jpg.92dd86fbd48e7b2e6c40d68dead513d8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the education on the AAF knives....I came across this knife at the local army navy store..I would have passed on by the knife, had it not been for your thread...

knife.JPG

knife blade.JPG

knife handle.JPG

knife snap.JPG

Since this topic was towards the top and for consolidation purposes, I'm duplicating a post from a Western inquiry.

Western being worn, New Guinea, December 1943 and an the Western, May 1944.

1453400554_Westernbakeliteshark(1)book.jpg.f6daf0a49601052174d451cf2daf8673.jpg827321663_Westernbakeliteshark(1)bookc.jpg.e88a0881b3b36d59922b193a01afb8fb.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg.8222343388de8b3f927737d80557771c.jpg

It is a bit difficult to distinguish the Camillus and Marbles since they are so so similar. But I believe these USAAF personnel are wearing Marbles, the sheath being worn right is a signature Marbles type and a handle can be seen above the M1916 holster. January 1944

590363697_scan(20)c.jpg.eba0f1e32f291e435ef7c560eb6a1358.jpg

1264133132_scan(20)cc.jpg.cdc9dc77c4189517a888111c2b59b3d3.jpg

1026123045_scan(20)ccc.jpg.2aba7178a0a0f8c1d4d1c7460362159e.jpg

• 1 year later...

Can anyone determine the make/model of the knife pictured?  P-47 Pilot with the 4th Fighter Group.  Note what appears to be an open hole rivet design.  I've looked at the Western Baby Sharks, but the sheath rivets/pommel are throwing me off.  CAMILLUS-or is it just something he could get his hands on?

knife.jpg

Agree with SAC... could be any number of the Marbles knives or even a Remington hunting knife pattern from pre WW2 used. Has a very distinct pommel and washer pattern grip. Several of the Remingtons had various blade styles and lengths. Here is one 

image.png.bb4111b8a2084ff90f4f5bbbb82a010c.png

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic. I have one question about Marbles Ideals knifes. Why some of them have sheath snap with Marbles signatures and some do not have? Two example of 6inch blades...

Thanks Jerry

Marbles Ideal knife 6 inch 02a.jpg

Marbles Ideal knife 6 inch 01.JPG

I think the variety found on sheath snaps are much like that among most knife makers.  One thing to keep in mind is that any custom work on a piece increases the cost.  To minimize that manufactures order in quantity.  Add to that, knife companies like Marbles, and Western weren't located closely to a lot of the supply centers in the U.S. at the time.

While I can't produce old company order records, IMHO it would be a normal practice for companies to try and order their projected supplies in bulk to reduce costs.

If you order a bunch of snaps with your company name on them for say the coming year and run out of them before that, it wouldn't surprise me if they hurried an order for plan snap to fill in the gap.

I think this is more common on items intended for commercial sales.  On military contract stuff I don't see much in the way of frills.  Still somethings got into military stock by being bought off the self in the first place.

• 1 year later...

This is a very helpful post. Thank you to Dustin. I have the first production Camillus. Was in my grandfather's fishing gear that he passed to me in 1977. The brass collar is loose. Is there a way to tighten it all up? If so, can you recommend a service I can send it to?

Apache31, would you provide pics of your knife?  What condition is the leather in the handle?  Leather dries out over time if not treated properly.  As it dries out, the leather reduces in size creating the loose "brass collar".  When it dries out it removs more than moisture, so don't just soak it in water.  There are some techniques to restoring it, but again, it depends on its' current condition.

Makes sense. It's definitely seen better days. It was sitting in a tool box for years. I wrapped a piece of thin gauge wire around it to tighten it up. It's ugly.

PXL_20230525_164625304.MP.jpg

On 5/27/2023 at 5:07 AM, opseccc said:

Apache31, thank you for the picture.  What are your ideal plans for the knife?  

Would be nice to tighten it up, polish the blade and pommel, make it razor sharp and use it as an EDC around the property here.