Mass. Military Reserve

Steverino

I am posting a patch I have owned for several years in the hopes that someone can tell me about it.

It is made in almost the exact same style, material and colors of the Mass. State Guard and State Guard Reserve patches from WWII. However, it is not from the state guard. So, what is it?

Thanks for any and all information.

PatchJohnson

post-132135-0-51665300-1395819028.jpg

Even though the patch isn't in Smith's book, I could not look at this patch and think of it anything else but State Guard. When you consider how many other State Guards are referred to as Reserve units, and several state guard patches have "Reserve" on their patches, this would have to be State Guard IMHO.

-Ski

Ski,

Don't forget that I wrote "Smitty's" book and I have done a lot of research with the MSG history folks back in Mass. None of them tell me that the Military Reserve patch was any form of state guard. That is the puzzling part, and that's why I posted that patch to begin with.

I am posting images of the first Mass. SG patch (the oval), plus a Mass. SG Reserve patch that has the "R" picked out (presumably) when the guy changed from reserve status to normal SG. As you can see, the construction is virtually the same for all three patches meaning, to me at least that they were all made at the same place - not necessarily for the same unit.

PatchJohnson

post-132135-0-19050700-1395852490.jpg

post-132135-0-22654500-1395852500.jpg