WW1 Navy Officers uniform and belt

TrenchfootJoe66

TrenchfootJoe66

Found this over the weekend. Im not much on Navy stuff but I just couldn't leave it behind. Its in absolutely MINT condition.

Its dated 1914 and was made by the FJ Schmidt Co of Annapolis MD. I cant really make the guys name. Any guesses ?

post-10797-0-14213400-1395705998.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66

Could be. I couldn't find any Glovers who served in WW1 but I only checked Ancestory.com so far. Im pretty sure he was a USNA grad, Anybody have rosters for early grads ? Im guessing he could have graduated with a Class from 1905 thru 1910 ??

TrenchfootJoe66

Robert O. Glover USNA Class of 1915.

Had a nice career.

Im afraid that wouldn't be our guy, unless my understanding of Naval ranks is all screwed up. The label has him as an Ensign in 1914.

RustyCanteen

Im afraid that wouldn't be our guy, unless my understanding of Naval ranks is all screwed up. The label has him as an Ensign in 1914.

It means he would have ordered his coat in 1914 prior to his 1915 graduation. A lot of officers just kept using their old uniforms and we can see he kept his updated when he reached Captain rank (four stripes on cuffs).

RustyCanteen

I feel pretty confident it is an 'O' and not a 'G'. We can see the 'G' in Glover is totally different.

RC

I'm guessing he had his officer's uniforms tailored in November prior to graduation in 1915. That would make perfect sense. He never updated the uniform above Captain as these were phased out by that time.

Nice find!

If it is Robert O. Glover, it looks like he made Captain in 1942 and was on the USS Massachusetts at the time. You might try contacting someone at Battleship Cove ( http://www.battleshipcove.org/ )where the USS Massachusetts is docked, and see if the handwriting possibly matches up (if it isn't the tailor's handwriting), or if they even have a photo of him wearing the coat. Great find, in any case!

-- Jon

TrenchfootJoe66

Ok apparently I really don't know Navy ranks as well as I thought I did. I figured USNA grads were commissioned as Lt.s rather than Ensigns and that was throwing my timeline off. But you guys have made believers out of me. And thanks to everybody who chimed in and set me straight. You'd think Id know better considering how much Navy blood runs on both sides of my family. My great grandfather, Joseph Crosley composed Navy Blue and Gold while he was the Music Director at the Academy. I was even born at the old USNA hospital. My dad was in sunny southeast asia at the time and it was the closest facility.

I will be selling the coat, pants and belt in the For Sale section shortly. Feel free to PM

And thanks again. This forum and its members are always a cut above

BTW, I lived in Annapolis as a kid. I know right where that Tailor shop was located on Maryland Ave but it was gone by my time. Small friggin world. I think some of the Academy must have rubbed off on me when I was born. I stumble on USNA stuff all the time.

It should be the tailor's handwriting.

That's what I figured, anyway, but it might be good to have a reference to compare, just in case. If it's going to be for sale, the folks at the USS Massachusetts might even be interested in this jacket for the museum, as it has his rank at the time he commanded the ship.

• 2 weeks later...