US Sniper Rifle Recaptured from VC

badash5946

Since the rifle was of US manufacture it was returned on an ATF import form rather than a DD603. This was written by the soldier who brought it back.

post-56764-0-69211100-1395697766.jpg

And a letter from the factory. This rifle is well documented and is also featured in "Veteran Bringbacks Volume III" by Edward Tinker.

As I mentioned in the other post, I do often wonder about the road this rifle traveled. It is a highlight of my collection.

post-56764-0-19422400-1395698248.jpg

439th Signal Battalion

Very interesting sir, thank you for posting this piece and its history.

Since it is a Model 70, would this rifle have been more likely carried by USMC personnel prior to its capture by the Viet Cong?

That is what my initial reaction was, especially since this one went to Naval supply channels, but I am totally not sure. This is the only photo I have been able to find of this setup in country. Here it looks more like it is being used as designated marksman type rifle.

post-56764-0-13983100-1395701582.jpg

439th Signal Battalion

Now that's one intriguing picture. Not only is he carrying a PRC-25 and the sniper rifle, but the load on the lightweight ruck at the bottom looks like it is about to pull him under. Is that a first-aid bag or a butt-pack on the radio?

It is also interesting to see the M84 scope on both Model 70 rifles. I have seen the M84 on several M14/M21's but not a Model 70.

Now that's one intriguing picture. Not only is he carrying a PRC-25 and the sniper rifle, but the load on the lightweight ruck at the bottom looks like it is about to pull him under. Is that a first-aid bag or a butt-pack on the radio?

It is also interesting to see the M84 scope on both Model 70 rifles. I have seen the M84 on several M14/M21's but not a Model 70.

Badash

Thats a intresting set up and thanks for posting.

Is the rifle .308 or 30.06 ?

Looks like the bag is the lower haversack from the Marine pack.Possibly hes carring spare batteries for the radio and mounting the pack high to keep it dry

River Patrol

Excellent! Thanks for sharing this well documented artifact!

Now thats a real piece of Combat History thank you for posting it.Scotty

Badash

Thats a intresting set up and thanks for posting.

Is the rifle .308 or 30.06 ?

Looks like the bag is the lower haversack from the Marine pack.Possibly hes carring spare batteries for the radio and mounting the pack high to keep it dry

It is 30.06 Springfield.

I ran the S/N through this database for equipment losses - but the list is only 67-70. There are a ton of M16's, Carbines, etc listed by SN here with all the records showing the unit who lost it, the date and the circumstances....might yield some interesting results for others:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-search.jsp?dt=178&tf=F&bc=%2Csl&sc=5746&sc=5778&sc=5774&sc=5749&sc=5761&sc=5762&sc=5763&sc=5777&sc=5767

As for this rifle, I would guess USMC purchased through the Navy Dept, probably lost early in the war. A friend of mine was there from 65-66 and the USMC at the time still used a lot of .30-06 weapons - M1919's, etc. The USMC might have more info, but tread lightly as the Navy Dept is funky about stuff that "Still is officially theirs" - AKA Never officially released from service; to include air planes abandoned underwater, etc.

It is 30.06 Springfield.

Thanks

That confirms what I was thinking.

Early rifle and the USMC used Model 70s with little modification early other than adding scopes(from what I have gathered).

I ran the S/N through this database for equipment losses - but the list is only 67-70. There are a ton of M16's, Carbines, etc listed by SN here with all the records showing the unit who lost it, the date and the circumstances....might yield some interesting results for others:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-search.jsp?dt=178&tf=F&bc=%2Csl&sc=5746&sc=5778&sc=5774&sc=5749&sc=5761&sc=5762&sc=5763&sc=5777&sc=5767

As for this rifle, I would guess USMC purchased through the Navy Dept, probably lost early in the war. A friend of mine was there from 65-66 and the USMC at the time still used a lot of .30-06 weapons - M1919's, etc. The USMC might have more info, but tread lightly as the Navy Dept is funky about stuff that "Still is officially theirs" - AKA Never officially released from service; to include air planes abandoned underwater, etc.

A bit of clarification, the Archives link only covers Army losses - so it could have been lost by the USMC at any point during the war.

I was not aware this search was available, so thanks Baron for posting it, *bookmarked*.

• 7 months later...