Noble (F.H. Noble) & Co.: examples and patterns

Here's a new one I got in the mail today. It has what looks like an old repair holding the pin on with string. There are also some differences from the other Noble wings posted on this site. For one thing the hallmark is a bit different on mine. What do the experts say?

post-25673-0-70431300-1395696054.jpg

Here's something else I found interesting. These are 3 wings I believe are prewar with the Noble in the middle. Quite similar aren't they?

post-25673-0-38908100-1395698278.jpg

Very nice Mike, congrats on getting a rare wing.

F.H. Noble is one of the more over looked makers.

Their wings are rarely seen and can command a high price if the seller knows what it is.

I have only seen Noble produce the Pilot wing like yours and a Naval Aviator wing badge of the same era.

The Aviator wing is very rare.

Also, the hallmark is almost always in the center of the shield as with yours. I have seen one example where it is at the base of the right wing.

By the way, Noble made their own findings and that branch of the business was called Hercules.

Here is a link to another Nolbe thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/130597-why-did-these-wings-sell-for/?hl=noble&do=findComment&comment=982849

Best, John

Thanks Russ and John. That info on the findings is really interesting and the name Hercules sure fits in hand they're massive! Looking at those dents and scratches it makes you wonder who the men were that wore these wings, the fathers of the golden age of aviation had these types pinned to their chests. Awesome to think about isn't it! Thanks again guys I'm glad you liked them. :)

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Wermacht Awards website, N in a circle is an unidentified manufacturer. However, see below! Someone should update that site!

Wow, nice! I have to say I've never seen that one before. What a beauty. You hit a grand slam with that purchase.

mark leonard

Thanks again for the comments . I don't know a good wing from bad and when I bid on this group it was for the nine logbooks and photo I.D. I thought the wing was a junk wing and when it came in the mail same thought. After a few weeks I posted this thread for I.D help and you guys did !!! I thank you for taking the time to post, Here are two photos of the little group, The logbooks start in 1928 and end 1950, his photo I.D is 1930.

Mark

post-6643-0-12395500-1398447496.jpg