Help with a M-79 grenade launcher

MattD

All

I figured this would be the best place to find some advice on a project I am working on. I bought an airsoft M-79 and I want to refinish it like an early model for a display. I have a couple problems I am working through:

1. The barrel is plastic and cracked in a couple a couple places. What would be the best adhesive to fix?

2. The early model barrels were andonized aluminum, in a weird brown/bronze color (see below). I want to replicate this. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated

post-2368-0-62821500-1395601929.jpg

Proud Kraut

Hi Matt, now that is something special you won't see every day. I havn't worked with stuff in such a large scale yet so I'm afraid I can't help you with your barrel project. Very interesting though.

"The barrel is plastic and cracked in a couple a couple places. What would be the best adhesive to fix?"

This depends on the type of plastic and the size of the crack. You've also said you want this for a display which I assume means it will rarely be handled. Super glue works on most plastics. The thin version will flow along a seam thru "capillary action" so it may remain less visible but if you are not careful it can end up all over which can be bad. Gel type super glue is less prone to spreading but it can take longer to dry. There are a number of metallic paints available for hobbyists but getting a smooth finish may require an airbrush. Some of these metallic paints look good but are also notorious for rubbing off with even careful handling. I've found general purpose paint to be a bit more durable than hobby paint. Here's a link for some general purpose metallic finish spray paint. http://www.krylon.com/products/?N=1744426049 A couple look close to your picture. A word of caution - if you use aerosol spray paint spray a small amount on a less visible area of your model & let it dry. Some paints have solvents that react badly with certain types of plastic & they can melt the model or alter its finish. Good luck.

Garandomatic

Model paint (Testors) ought to be safe as can be. Had a Mustang model that pretty much melted that I was really excited to build when the then "new" '94 body style came out when I used a more aggressive paint, and Testors is made for model plastic. For glue, if you can get inside of the barrel (maybe take it apart if it is cast plastic in two halves), I think that 2 part clear epoxy might be a winner. It would be strong, smear it over the crack area and press some fiberglass cloth into it, and once it sets, you can sand it like bondo or modeller's putty.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, you may have to use some putty to seal up the crack. Mostly I use Tamiya gray putty because it goes on well and will do a good of filling any gaps when you lightly wet sand it.

As for the color, I don't remember exactly because it was a weapon we rarely carried unless you were a member of one of the base mortor teams, then it would be issued to you along with a .38 caliber pistol. As best as I can remember, the shade of the barrel was your typical parkerize with the butt olive drab. The plastic stock was some weird pale pink color that you could see after the O.D. wore off.