The tag read "Would make great costume, $35"

tsakers85

I was visiting my parents over the weekend in Southeastern Oklahoma, Little Dixie for those from Oklahoma, and dropped into an antique shop in Checotah, Oklahoma. I have been here several times but never seen a stitch of militaria, or masonic material for that matter, and have never purchased anything.

I made the circuit through the booths and in the very last booth I stepped in I saw something incredible. I checked the price tag and it read "Would make great costume, $35."

The item was an early US Air Force Formal Evening Dress Uniform, with the gold tone USAF buttons and gold bullion trim. It also happened to be a general officer uniform and named in the pocket.

The name read "Lt. H.F. Gregory, 4/26/37. The uniform belonged to Brigadier General Hollingsworth F. Gregory. I suspect Gregory had a formal uniform made as a young Air Corps officer in 1937, kept it throughout his career, and had it re-tailored in the 1950s to conform to USAF regulations. He lived in Tulsa, Oklahoma, working in the aerospace industry after retirement from the Air Force. He died in 1978 and the uniform managed to stay in Oklahoma all this time.

So, amazing finds are still out there!

post-10442-0-44650800-1395588587.jpg

You have a very rare USAF formal evening dress uniform, that began life as an Army uniform but which was modified with the gold USAF buttons to become "the first uniform adopted by the US Air Force and is probably one of the most elusive uniforms found in the repertoire of USAF uniforms."

These were adopted in 1948, had a wear out date of 1955 and the gold buttons were used through 1959.

You can read about it at http://usafflagranks.com/usaf_formal_evening_dress_uniform.html

By the way, if you read the link you will see that there was a similar civilian formal outfit with tails that was modified for Air Force wear, but this one is the "US Army Full Dress uniform with transitional gold buttons [which] is rare."

The converted Army full dress uniform was the one authorized through 1955, while the civilian version with gold USAF buttons and cuff trim was worn through 1959.

By the way, if you read the link you will see that there was a similar civilian formal outfit with tails that was modified for Air Force wear, but this one is the "US Army Full Dress uniform with transitional gold buttons [which] is rare."

The converted Army full dress uniform was the one authorized through 1955, while the civilian version with gold USAF buttons and cuff trim was worn through 1959.

Oh I could hardly contain myself when I saw the sleeve trim and spotted the stars.

Any idea of his WWII service? I think I see a Bronze Star, maybe Purple Heart there.

The bio link above says, "In January 1945 he became assistant chief of staff for Intelligence of the Seventh Air Force on Saipan and Okinawa,"

That's probably where he received the Bronze Star. He had a lot of service by the time WWII started and as the military began it's rapid expansion, guys with his years of experience were not sent to the front lines as flyers, but generally held staff and command jobs. You see a lot who never left the US during the war, so that 7th AF job must have been coveted by the stateside desk jockeys.

The bio notes a French Legion of Honor as well, but I don't see one. What I believe I do see is the Army Commendation Medal and Philippine Liberation Medal.

AAF_Collection

Just fantastic! A pre-war Air Corps tailcoat has been top of my "wants list" for some time so I am just a tad jealous!.

Matt.

I will add though that he was a pioneer in rotary wing, so while he spent most of the war in the USA, he did so, in part, as a test pilot for autogyros and helicopters:

"After receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Mississippi in 1926, Gregory worked for several years as a Mississippi high school principal (Official Air Force Biography, 1956).

In 1928 Gregory enlisted in the U.S. Army as a flying cadet and attended the Primary and Advanced Flying Schools at Brooks Field, TX. The following year, after receiving his wings and a commission as a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps, Gregory began his military flying career as a fixed wing pilot. In 1935, the Army purchased its first direct control autogyros. They were sent to Langley Field, VA to be tested by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics or NACA. In 1936, while stationed as the Engineering Officer with Flight E of the 16th Observation Squadron at Fort Sill, OK, Gregory was picked to be one of the autogyro test pilots (Gregory, 1944). The Army saw the autogyro’s future as a reconnaissance aircraft because of its slow flight capability. Gregory’s technical background and his experience in observation squadrons made him ideally suited to be the senior officer in charge of the autogyro test program at Langley. "

• 3 weeks later...