Chinese Air Task Force Patch

River Patrol

josesharontraders

HI Mortaydc60,

The Confusion in this Forum. Hence, from mid 1943 up to the end of 1943, there were overlapping CATF men using right tigers patches and incoming men of the 14th also adopting initially the right-facing tigers until 14th Airforce came into its own in actuality in December 1943 through Feb 1946. There were almost 23,000 CATF airmen & personnel rotating into the CBI from July 1942 through December 1943, while there were almost 76,000 rotating 14th Airforce personnel into the CBI from mid 1943 through Feb, 1946 wearing these left or right tigers. These dudes & gals together with China kept down the bulk of the 4-million man Kwantung Army of the Empire of Japan, who would otherwise have gone to defend the Pacific islands from the approaching forces of Gen. Douglas MacArthur, Adm. Nimitz & Halsey etc.

Oops, slight chromo error. I typed originally 1942 for the 14th airforce, but intended to say the arrival of men and materiel of this 14th Airforce wing was in year 1943, (in bold above). Never ever get on this forum while you are munching your donut at the end of the day at your Spain office, and on your 5th cup-o-café con leche....ahahahhehehehehhahaha.

ADVANCED HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!

ALSO TO MY GOOD FRIEND AVG Flying Tigers-CBI advanced Collector RICK/WALIKA, here is definitive proof of authenticity of your wonderful Unofficial AVG Silk Variant Patch of late May 1942-June 1942 most likely from the Chungking AVG 1st Squadron Adam & Eves: another exact patch like yours from the Br. India-made khaki tunic of finance man of the AVG Flying Tigers George ¨Pappy¨ Paxton, who stayed half his time in Calcutta.

Side Story. The Adam & Eves and most mechs moved up to ChungKing early in the morning of May 23, 1942 from Hostel 2 in Kunming close to the AVG base. They were not present in the May 22, 1942 late evening farewell bull session and cocktails hosted by AVG Pilot RT Smith in the rooms and hallway of nearby downtown AVG Hostel 1 where 2nd & 3rd Squadrons and their ground crew were based, where the official 1st Series AVG Flying Tigers souvenir patches ordered by Skip Adair & RT Smith (rep of the ¨striking¨ AVG pilots) on May 13 & 14, 1942 were handed out. Most of the ground crew of these 2 squadrons were to leave mid June because of the redundancy by the incoming USAAF 23rd Fighter group men who were activating the Kunming base by then.

The Chungking AVG group--basically the non-striking Pilots willing to fly beyond sovereign China territory to accompany USAAF bombing runs to Chiang Mai, Kingdom of Siam & Haiphong-Hanoi zone in Fr. Indochina--missed out on these thinly sewn Official 1st Series AVG silk patches of the Flying Tiger, with some receiving the later Official 2nd Series ¨tightly woven silk¨ AVG Flying Tiger patch in late June while many also ending up ordering additional variants such as yours. If one checks even the late Larry Pistole's book, the chrono sequence & corresponding attributions from his pictures for the kinds of AVG Patches, Silk Peacock, banners & rare Flying Tiger ¨V¨ breast bullion worn by the Flying Tigers folks are robust to the foregoing findings thanks to the diaries, notes & memoire of many AVG like RT Smith, Charlie Bond, etc.

Here is Pappy Paxton's AVG Patch Variant of the Flying Tiger exactly like yours:

post-160067-0-85452600-1574444846_thumb.jpg

josesharontraders

And here again, like in my Tiger Zoo forum is your wonderful patch, which one day you can bequeath to me...so my other one doesn't get lonely:

post-160067-0-74464300-1574445519_thumb.jpg

josesharontraders

Just to tie this all together, more CATF examples are posted here. AVG, here.

Hi Rick/Walika,

Hope all is well with you as we find more holiday time with the hobby in between making sure the turkey doesn't dry. Yes...even here in Southern Spain there are groups of yanks with their smokers, giblet, cheesecake and more supple European turkey preparing for next week. The best thing is to get invited to all the gatherings, if you're still hungry. hahahahahhhehe.

Thanks, my friend.

jose

josesharontraders

Wow nice patch mr. wing-patches2. Why not give fellow militaria members your ¨friends and family¨ starter price, pweeease?

I find that ¨laborioso¨ work done by embroidery for CATF patches, thence preserved well until now, carry better values. But your painting of CATF tiger on an authentic patch is also very very nice. A pre-Black Friday sale price out of your heart's goodness, O, Master Patch Expert?.....

post-160067-0-06192100-1574496279_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...