Expert Pistol Crossed Revolvers and Early 1911s

Brig

Just lost this on eBay, went for 117+ bucks... any more info on it? The only other example I ever saw was gold for National Guard. I'm a bit upset about the loss

2a78_1.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Tim, have lost myself... on these early USMC Colt revolver badge. In most instances $135+ and if engraved $$$$. And have only seen the gold colored variety in early NG groups. s/f Darrell

I also lost on a multi-construction WWI era pistol badge this week, which my better half is still upset about. not my week on pistol badges I guess

normaninvasion

Wow, dont mean to rub salt in a wound, but damn thats a smokin badge. Never saw those before,I assume there unofficial, when do they date to?

they're official. I imagine they predate 1911 when the revolvers were phased out. and yeah, thanks for the salt rub

teufelhunde.ret
... did I let a really good one slip away?

I've only seen two w/ engraved "Colt" on both occasions $175 plus (both were silver and two piece - not the NG type). The last one I bid (last summer) went for $200+ pinch.gif s/f Darrell

I will rub a little more salt in the wound...I have one that is still new in the wrap. When I acquired it I let my loose one go for 60 bucks.

And yes they are two piece construction.

And FWIW, any of the materials I have read on USMC shooting badges does not indicate that these were ever used by the Marine Corps. It is quite possible they were as during the early days, WW1 and before, many shooting badges were worn that were "unauthorized." It was a common practice especially among officers.

I will post a picture of mine tomorrow….

• 1 month later...

another version of this that sold for a mere 67 on eBay...I only bid 65, I kind of like the 'Colt' marked ones better, and have been buying a bunch lately

74c6_1.jpg

7746_1.jpg

another version of this that sold for a mere 67 on eBay...I only bid 65, I kind of like the 'Colt' marked ones better, and have been buying a bunch lately

Hi Brig im glad you stopped at 65 as this one is my first crossed revolvers expert pistol badge and i am eagerly awaiting its arrival brian

I'm still trying to find my first. what was your max bid?

78 and some change if it would have said colt on the grips i would have bid double or more to get it

This came in the mail and i was kind of shocked cause it wasnt exactly what i had expected but it has a new home and is going to stay it is a bronze (gold) national guard style badge from the pictures i had thought it was silver

nice badge Brig thats the first blackinton ive seen

I havent seen many makers marks on any of the Marine Corps badges, so far ive seen: N. S. Meyer, H & H, A. E. Co., B. B. & B., Robbins, an "S" in a circle (anyone have any idea whose mark this is?)

brian

post-2718-1240463655.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The Pistol Expert with the crossed two-pieced revolvers marked Colt are very rare.I think $250 is a good Buy-it -Now price if you collect shooting badges.I have come by 5 two-piece revolvers,but, only 2 were Colts.

I know were a 2-piece pistol revolver is but, it looks a little "frosty" to me.Not that it is a repro.When you get an early one, you can tell it is genuine.

• 5 months later...
teufelhunde.ret
insane $306 on eBay...even if it is the Colt marked varient...insane price!

Ridiculous! Even a few years back they did not sell for more than 250. :blink:

• 4 months later...
joefriday22
Hi,

I have read through this thread and wasn't able to find anything about one badge that I have, and I'm wondering if anyone recognizes it. I've noticed that the revolvers are a different different from the colt design, and this doesn't have the typical "c" catch, and appears to be silver plated. Any ideas?

DSC08238.jpgDSC08242.jpg

Funny, I planned to post a picture of a set identicle to this when I finished reading this entire thread. Then on the last page I see this picture. I have a pair that were my fathers from the late 50's/early 60's..Yes, they are police and they are sterling.

Rob

Funny, I planned to post a picture of a set identicle to this when I finished reading this entire thread. Then on the last page I see this picture. I have a pair that were my fathers from the late 50's/early 60's..Yes, they are police and they are sterling.

Rob

Hey Rob,

Do you know if this badge design was specific to a Police department, or is this more of a generic type badge?

joefriday22
Hey Rob,

Do you know if this badge design was specific to a Police department, or is this more of a generic type badge?

Probably generic. My father was a cop in NJ